Helmets

Richard Houlgate

Mine is now out of date. Not sure why I can't use it as it looks perfectly serviceable to  me, no doubt MSUK know something I don't.

So I need a new one. I have a large head and need to  make sure that whatever I buy fits correctly. Last time I bought a helmet there was a little place in Bewdley selling Black Cat helmets. The guy was very helpful, the helmet was cheap and I reasoned that if it complied to the relevant Snell standard it must be OK. It has been very comfortable and the two wearing parts, the visor and strap are still in good condition.

My nearest helmet place is Demon Tweeks in Wrexham, they are always very helpful but it's going to cost me £6-700 at least. But V2 sport https://www.v2sport.com/shop are advertising them for £300. It would seem that that if the V2 sport fits as it's made to the same safety standards as all the others that would be a sensible buy. What do you all think? 

Or are there other options?

I've been using a V2 for several years and am very impressed with it.  Alex has one as well.

I originally had a Bell but changed to the V2 when I started using a HANS device.  The Bell was drilled for HANS posts but that's another story.

The V2 feels equal in quality to the Bell.  Fit is of course a personal thing and I'm very happy with mine.  I had to exchange my first one as I'd misjudged the sizing. The second one was spot -on.  The returns process was very easy and the customer service was excellent.

I'd recommend them to anybody.

I’ve got a larger head, so when I get home from work I’ll check what size mine is, I remember having to get the size up from the one originally ordered. 

A great helmet, but the matte black gets hot quickly and shows dirty and minor scratches quite easily.

Mine is out of date too at the end of the year. I seriously looked at the V2 Sports but went with a Bell in the end as that was my current one and I knew it fitted. The V2's look good value, but i couldn't find a way to try one on before purchasing. Perhaps they do exchange without issue if you get the size wrong. i believe that they may have a stand at Race Retro in February too.

3 hours ago, Alex Gaskin said:

I remember having to get the size up

Funny, but I found my V2 ever so slightly larger than expected when I first tried it on - but Its fine with a balaclava on though, so it worked out OK in the end. 

Very happy with mine - only minor gripe is not having a quick visor swap system like my motorbike lids always had. 

• Like 1

@Richard Houlgate I've got a medium, fits really well. If you are going to the awards do on the 27th of January, then you could try it on if you would like to see if you need to go up or down a size.

Thanks for your replies,  attendance at awards depends on knee surgery. The challenge is to find something big enough. 

• Like 1

Thanks for all your replies. I had a Bell originally, it didn't fit well and the strap wore out.

VSCC mates suggest Hedtec, their prices are similar to V2 so I'm considering ordering a helmet from both companies and keeping the one that fits best.

I have a Hedtec Onyx in carbon, this is my second helmet from them. Been pleased with their products (though have not tested them!)

What advantage does the carbon helmet have over the ordinary one?

It's almost twice the price - is it worth it?

Hedtec for me also, non-carbon composite. Needed to return and size down from what the chart suggested but the process was easy. Comms could have been better but I'm satisfied overall.

CFRP I would suppose valuable if you think your neck might fatigue. Also in the event of a shunt your neck won't have as much mass to control. HANS useful with that though.

• Like 1

V2 only do XL, I need XXL so Hedtec was the only option.

It arrived after a couple of days and fits well, looking forward to the spring when I can try it!

I can fit my existing Hans posts so that's saved £50.

It is FIA8859 so doesn't go out of date.

Happy Christmas Paul, look forward to a repeat match at Pembrey.