Bmw x3

Rednop1

Anybody in the fold  running a bmw x3 

Around a 60 plate 

Looking for a run about 

Loads of 2.0d for sale do fancy the 3.0d

Are the auto boxes reliable as I'm lazy 

What the good and bad thngs to look out for ?

Anybody towing a westfield with one ?

60 plate is F25. We've got a 2017 F25 30d with 57k on it.  Cracking car.  Auto box is ZF and AFAIK bomb proof.  BMW claim they're sealed for life but ZF say they need servicing at 60-70k and service is expensive - around £600.  It's been recalled twice for replacement of exhaust gas recirculation valve.  Rear diff output oil seal has needed replacing due to leak which I think is common and a £300+ job as it means drive shaft out which involves rear suspension removal.  It's usually only a very slow weep so I think often gets left until car sold so watch for that.  It has had a rear wheel bearing go noisy and need replacing - common on high mileage cars (but not at 50k) according to my independent service guys and cheap enough to replace.  Oil filters are paper ones and I have read that unless they're decent quality they can disintegrate which means a new housing, but we haven't had that problem. Set of decent run flats will cost you close to a grand but they're good for 28-30k miles.  You can switch to non run flats but I have kept them as it's the Mrs. who drives it most.  Haven't towed with it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, Stuart said:

BMW claim they're sealed for life but ZF say they need servicing at 60-70k and service is expensive - around £600. 

That's a ridiculous price,you can buy the genuine ZF fluid and sump which incorporates the filter for just over £200,its a circa £300 job all in depending who you use😳

22 hours ago, Rednop1 said:

3.0d

Are the auto boxes reliable as I'm lazy 

I've got a 2014 F30 330d so same engine and gearbox and it's a great set up.

Gearbox is really good,even better once you get it remapped👌

My car can tow 1800kg,it pulls my race shuttle with my kit car in it at 1400kg like theres nothing attached 😁

• Like 2

10 hours ago, CosKev said:

That's a ridiculous price,you can buy the genuine ZF fluid and sump which incorporates the filter for just over £200,its a circa £300 job all in depending who you use😳

@CosKev can you tell me more?  The £600 ball park is from 3 different independents around here (Worcestershire), including the guys I use.  And I've found them pretty cheap for everything else I've had them do. 

Edited to add this 

https://www.opieoils.co.uk/p-197409-zf-automatic-transmission-oil-change-service-kit-for-selected-zf-8hp-transmissions.aspx 

We have a 61 plate X3 3.0SE with a ridiculous number of factory fitted options, bought it 5 years ago as a 1 owner car with full BMW service history from the supplying dealer at 95,000 miles, serviced to the book and now has 176,000 on the clock, brilliant car!

Will run this one till the end!

• Like 2

My wife had one of the very first X3's back in 2005, loved it so much I couldn't get her to change. Had it 15 years, fantastic car. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Stuart said:

@CosKev can you tell me more?  The £600 ball park is from 3 different independents around here (Worcestershire), including the guys I use.  And I've found them pretty cheap for everything else I've had them do. 

Edited to add this 

https://www.opieoils.co.uk/p-197409-zf-automatic-transmission-oil-change-service-kit-for-selected-zf-8hp-transmissions.aspx 

You need to pick carefully what you buy off Opie Oils,some stuff is very over priced......

Gone up a bit since I bought it couple years ago😏

Plenty on Ebay 👍

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/314271555888?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=ka2bu7avr_c&sssrc=4429486&ssuid=JyIqrkhzQTq&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

• Thanks 1