Spare Wheel Carrier

GPRich

Taking mine off the car was the first job I did when I bought it. RAC membership comes with my bank account anyway, so that’ll save me in an emergency.

• Like 1

I have a spare wheel fitted to my westie.  I've never used it.  It makes me nervous not to have one.

I carry a space saver in my A3 and I've used it a couple of times.  I've put it on the car and got on with my day.

On the other hand I was out in my wife's MX5 one day and trashed the wheel in a pothole.  That was the day gone.  When you're a bloke at the side of the road with a flat tyre you're not top of the RAC's priorities.

David

• Like 1

I trashed a tyre (and a rear wing) on a 1/4" t-bar someone had chucked 5 days after putting mine on the road.  So I decided to keep the spare on but haven't had another puncture in the subsequent 23 years

• Like 1

I've still got the spare I used to carry, from when I had the ZK rear tub. (No where for it to go on my FW).

I used the 15" style space saver spare from I think, a Ford Ka. Never needed to use it, but it was there, just in case. But much narrower and less weighty than carrying a full size wheel.

PS, as its just in the way, it's free to anyone that will come and take it away!

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Dave Eastwood (Gadgetman) - Club Chairman said:

I've still got the spare I used to carry, from when I had the ZK rear tub. (No where for it to go on my FW).

I used the 15" style space saver spare from I think, a Ford Ka. Never needed to use it, but it was there, just in case. But much narrower and less weighty than carrying a full size wheel.

PS, as its just in the way, it's free to anyone that will come and take it away!

That's interesting.  I looked at the possibility of a space saver spare a while back but I couldn't come up with anything that I thought would be a worthwhile saving in size or weight.

D

• Like 1

It's more the size than anything. 

Not the clearest of photos of it, but gives you an idea.

image.png

• Like 2

@dvd8n We have (oops, sold the car), rather than a space saver, a Ford Ka 14" alloy with a 165/70 - same circumference as a 205/50-15. A tyre cover hid the different looking rim ( unless you have minilites).

Screenshot_2023-11-27-18-45-47-6103.jpeg.87413c7ba4958a510dc85799dbf54747.jpeg

download.jpeg.1d66561233b7647add3a0ffbdae90cdc.jpeg

(Edit) Just spotted who raised the thread! @GPRich - just remember, if you ditch the spare there are three holes in the bodywork that hold the wheel that will need to be filled/disguised, and the back panel will need cutting-polishing as there will be marks where the tyre has rubbed.

• Like 1

Hi Brad @BigSkyBrad

Not going to ditch it as I was just seeing what others did/had. Hope all is well with you both and just so you know the car is wrapped up in the garage waiting for a sunny day 😄

I have a spare wheel on my Westfield because it adds to the classic character of the car, plus it was very handy when I got a puncture, it was a quick swap and we were soon on our way.

IMG_0445.JPG

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, GPRich said:

That was exactly why I put one on mine with the traditional style body, and swept front wings. It just finished off the back, and visually balanced the car, nicely.

• Like 1

@GPRich Gareth, if you want to go back to the original matching rim and 205 tyre, you'll need a new number plate bracket - I shortened the one on 'our' car  for the number plate to sit snug behind the 165 tyre. Someone on here might have one they removed from their car.

• Thanks 1