Brake switch part code

Hafod

Does anyone have the brake light switch Partode / type that fits the brake Union near the master cylinder. I have no brake lights now but still have the 12v feed to the switch. 

Hi Phil, If you join the two wires at the switch, do your brake lamps light? 

If so, you'll need one of these- Pressure switch

Thank Ian, yes have power so suspect the pressure switch is n/g. I’ll get a new one on order

thanks

phil

Though to be fair, all the in-line pressure switches seem to be poor and fail regularly. In the end, most of us end up leaving them in place, but fitting a way more reliable mechanical (micro) switch to operate the brake lights.

(There are files to 3d print great little mounting brackets for the switches, if you have, or know someone with access to, a 3D printer. Or they're easily made from some angle section metal, aluminium, steel etc.

Here's the one done by @Greenstreak-Andy D I've used it, as have a few others. Works well.

• Like 1

Im planning on changing mine and using the same design as Mofast used to produce which bolts to the floor.

IMG_5738.jpeg.58fc35b1f559c9855698be66c2d2cc5a.jpeg

This is the micro switch they used. 

My press. switch is/was still working, needed a good push of the pedal to get the lights on though, so I’ve added a micro switch operated off the pedal and wired in parallel with original switch. Now adjusted so lights come in with minimal pedal press, much better in traffic now IMHO.
I used the micro switch listed in Greenstreak Andy’s write up above and and made a mounting bracket and actuation tab from aluminium. PITA working in the footwell at my age though!

Wiring was straightforward, just connected into the brake light wire on the Blinkstop unit behind the dash.

20230120_160203.thumb.jpeg.d04404893e775afba96b400eda4647fe.jpeg

20230211_160247.thumb.jpeg.06c0e7bcde248b651f979e549b37f012.jpeg

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Alan Cutler (Adge) - Dorset AO said:

needed a good push of the pedal to get the lights on though,

This is the typical first sign of the pressure switch failing I'm afraid, though it can take months, (or on less used cars) years to fail totally - some never do, in fact, but just end up needing virtually emergency stop pressure to activate the lights.

• 2 weeks later...

Help, the puzzle continues 

I bought a new brake pressure switch, a Lucas one but it turned out to be the wrong thread but this is not the issue. 

when I used a jumper wire across the brake switch connections the brake lights only come on when the sidelights are on. Side lights off, no brake lights using the jumper wire. My Westfield is an FW with the ring LED combined side / brake lights so I guess it’s just a higher voltage when the brakes are pressed. 

Does anyone have any idea what might be wrong?