New Member Old Car

Steve G.

I came on here looking for some info about pedal boxes a couple of weeks ago. A conversation with a new work colleague about cars was the first time I heard about this particular car. His late father built the car in 1992, he inherited it but was never keen on driving it as being a narrow bodied car he didn't fit in it very well. He mentioned he was thinking of selling it and was I interested. 

Id first looked at Westfields at Stoneleigh back around the time this was new and still have the catalogue I picked up. I hadn't really considered buying one until this came up. 

IMG_5659.thumb.JPG.8c693b1e62c7e9c0f6c854fd76a5d4b8.JPG

It's been off the road since around 2014. It has a new windscreen that needs fitting and will need at least a new set of tyres. The brake pedal is very high but it looks like it had new calipers and master cylinder at some point so it might just need the pushrod adjusting a bit otherwise I fit fairly well. I have yet to pick it up as I don't have anywhere to keep it. Hopefully I can sort this out in a couple of weeks and he is happy to store it until I can keep it safe.

The car is from Sussex area originally, someone may even remember if the have been in the club for a long time. There is a lot of history with the car but it would be interesting to hear if anyone remembers it.

• Like 3

Looks like a good winter project. 

Where abouts are you? Go along to your local area meeting, you will be able to get plenty of advice there. 

Hi Steve, definitely a good winter project, I too have a narrow from 1989 but it has never been registered and I am all to slowly getting on with the rebuild. I would love to come and have a look at it, I live in Lee on Solent, we do meet next Thursday 2nd November if you would like to come down and pick some brains.

Thanks for the replies. Portsmouth is about an hour away, nice drive out in the summer. Hope to get it home in a few weeks as soon as I can store it in the dry.  Hopefully I can get it running fairly quickly as I haven't heard it going yet.

• Like 1

Where is it coming from?

5 hours ago, Martin Letts - Joint Hampshire & IOW AO said:

Where is it coming from?

Only about a mile up the road. Did you see the private message about the parts Martin. 

Wehey....!

Another Narrow Crossflow - you will absolutely love it mate...

Mart.

Really looking forward to getting it running just need to sort out where it's going to be kept and then I will get it home. I asked about the pedals on here as the brake is too high up for me to drive comfortably but it needs carb rebuilds, fuel lines replacing, tyres and a service before it will be going anywhere much. 

Phase 1 of my master plan to make some storage space. I have been using a garage tent but it isn't very dry. These are flat pack storage containers. I've got too many cars so as soon as these are put up the Westfield can go in the garage.

IMG_20231108_161526.jpg

• Like 1

Looking forward to hearing your progress with this one 😊

• 4 weeks later...

I am just about ready to go and pick the car up finally. The car I had in the garage has been moved into the container along with another I was storing in a temporary garage. The trailer I moved the container parts on has had a bit of a makeover. I've bought a pair of tyres, pair of propstands for the back and a winch. It looks a mess but would be quite nice if I could give it a decent coat of paint. 

My plan is to leave the Westfield on the trailer and put it in the garage. I don't have room to put the trailer anywhere and it will mean the car is at a better working height. 

I would have gone to get it today but the weather forecast isn't great and it would be a shame to get it soaked and then have to put it in the garage wet.

With any luck and some better weather I might be able to get it next weekend.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I finally managed to pick the car up ! 

After agreeing to buy it I had make space, with that done I just needed to fix my trailer, then I caught some sort of flu and have only just been well enough to do anything. 

Now it's in the garage I was able to clean off the worst of the dirt. It looks a bit better now.  It's still on the trailer, not only is it a better height to work on it saves a space on the drive.IMG_20231221_181008.thumb.jpg.982c191a598bb596609e6eb80d5c01e1.jpgIMG_20231221_180832.thumb.jpg.1eb4ba2f275a0a95d7d09a8a92c9bd4f.jpg

• Like 3