Just brilliant cars, should be compulsory bucket list!

Philb65

Please excuse my ignorance and sorry for the thread drift, but genuinely interested in why an LSD would make the car worse in the wet?

Mine doesn't have an LSD and it was originally a little hairy in the wet. Then I swapped the T1R tyres for PS3s and it was so much better!

I thought the point of an LSD was to minimise a wheel from slipping and improve grip. Hence why does it possible make it worse in the wet?

The only car I've had with an LSD was FWD and that always felt very locked down, regardless of conditions.

It perhaps helps if you know the differences on how open and biased diffs operate, see here for a quick overview.

https://catdrivertraining.co.uk/car-blog/limited-slip-differentials/

Whilst your concept is correct , it will depend on the surface on which you are driving and the torque applied to the tyres. LSD's have huge benefits on dry smooth surfaces, but on wet or slippy surfaces both tyres see the same level of grip they will simply drive the car forward, overstep the power applied during this phase will and it cause oversteer ( on a RWD) . Rally drivers use this with huge benefits in gravel stages for instance, since you can "steer" the car with power , rather than using the steering wheel which may cause understeer.

With all that said, as long as you know what the car will do with an LSD in the wet , then it can be very entertaining, but get caught out or not expect sudden oversteer then you may have a bad day. I swapped from a locked diff to an open one, whilst it's easier to drive or maneuver at slow speed with it, it has ruined my oversteer on demand, which I quite liked sometimes.

• Thanks 1