Just brilliant cars, should be compulsory bucket list!

Philb65

HT leads replaced and took the new car out for a fill up ending in a spirited drive. I’m sure I’m preaching to the converted but these cars are immense. Starting to gain a bit of confidence in the car and the 888r’s and I haven’t enjoyed a drive this much in years. All the latest cars have been turbos and I’d forgotten how good an NA car is. First one I’ve had with throttle bodies…wow! Everything, handling acceleration, sound just brilliant. I’ll be out again up to Dartmoor tomorrow before the rubbish weather descends by the weekend.

It’s made my mind up to get some more suitable tyres for the cooler weather and I’m thinking uniroyal rain sport 5s in 195/50/15, the 888s are 205. Didn’t really want to buy another set of wheels but I think it will be less hassle for me in the long run if I do. Demon tweeks seem to be the best value for wheel/tyre packages or does anyone have any better suggestions?

A pic of my two, both great cars and a lot of fun but the Westy is way more fun. Wish I’d bought one years ago! Roll on tomorrow!

IMG_20231009_153543.jpeg

• Like 9

looks great , another Devon owner also .... good times i have the Uniroyals on mine , really impressed with them 

• Like 2

Great to hear you sorted the HT leads and also yes they great cars, mine ( despite a lowly 110 ish BHP) is still huge fun. Yes if you intend to drive over winter do please consider suitable tyres, you may consider getting another set of rims, then you aren't swapping tyres all the time, wheels are easier to swap over. I have no idea if you have an LSD, but if you do take it easy in the wet until you are used to what the car will do based upon your inputs, quite quite easy to look a right plonker as you do a 360 in the high street - ask me how I know 😂

ETA

I my defense mine wasn't an LSD, it was ( whisper this ) welded, not that I knew at the time, so no slip at all never mind limited. Oh and the highstreet is a bus route, that's my defense M'Lud.

• Haha 1

Richard is right about LSDs being not for the faint hearted. Too much right foot in an open diff on a bend will often simply spin the inside wheel, but a car with an LSD will snap round before the unwary can catch it. My first Westfield caught out my son in 2003 who at that time hadn't driven a rear wheel drive car (he was young at the time) and certainly not one with an LSD. He left a roundabout briskly but with too much power and a damp patch the next thing he knew was backwards on the grass having bent some Armco and hit a tall 'A' road lamp standard. No harm to him, but the car was written off. A few seconds after the car came to rest and he was counting his blessings, the lantern from the top of the lamp standard smashed to the ground immediately next to the car. 

In the ensuing twenty years he has acquired a lot more experience I am glad to say.

• Like 2

It's easily done and apart from a very brief time with a Kia, all my cars have been RWD, so well used to going sideways, heck I did it as a hobby for years, lol. But it only takes that wet bit you didn't see or the diesel the bus in front just dumped, and around you go. Phil may not have one, but still worth mentioning if one is on the cards one day.

Had a few reasonably powerful rwd cars with lsd over the years but I’ll take it on board for sure. I like to think I’m light with the loud pedal and feed it in gradually so fingers crossed I won’t come to grief! Wouldn’t mind doing a track training/handling day next year to explore the cars limits and see where my limits lie if such a thing exists.

• Like 2

The difference between whatever RWD cars you have driven before ( most likely production cars - just a guess) is the fact that a Westfield is far far lighter and weight distribution won't be the same as a PC, so it will not react in the way perhaps the others did. Not preaching, I just don't want you to bin it, come the first rain or worse.

• Like 1

Yep understood Richard I know I’m not a driving god thankfully so I try and be reasonably cautious. Yes all production cars. I plan to try and pick sunny dry days, if it’s remotely damp it’ll be staying tucked up in bed! Devon is very wet so I might not get out very often! Driver training most definitely needed though!

• Like 1

Welcome @Philb65. Lovely looking car you’ve got there. If you fancy it, we are meeting at Re:fuel in Cullompton on 18th October from 7.30pm, would be great to see you.

Oh, and without wishing to scare you, it’s not just in the wet these things can catch you out, as I found out recently! 🤪 Only real damage was to my pride fortunately but it’s worth treating them with respect. Great fun though as we had yesterday around Exmoor.

• Like 1

No neither am I 😂, driver training is a great idea, I did one of those once at a Rally school Lincoln way , Blyton park I think it was. Best cash I spent .

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Philb65 said:

Yep understood Richard I know I’m not a driving god thankfully so I try and be reasonably cautious. Yes all production cars. I plan to try and pick sunny dry days, if it’s remotely damp it’ll be staying tucked up in bed! Devon is very wet so I might not get out very often! Driver training most definitely needed though!

No neither am I 😂, driver training is a great idea, I did one of those once at a Rally school Lincoln way , Blyton park I think it was. Best cash I  ever spent on improving lines, etc..

3 minutes ago, Stuart Davis (fatblokestu) AO- Devon & Somerset said:

Welcome @Philb65. Lovely looking car you’ve got there. If you fancy it, we are meeting at Re:fuel in Cullompton on 18th October from 7.30pm, would be great to see you.

Oh, and without wishing to scare you, it’s not just in the wet these things can catch you out, as I found out recently! 🤪 Only real damage was to my pride fortunately but it’s worth treating them with respect. Great fun though as we had yesterday around Exmoor.

Thanks Stuart, I may well come along but it would probably be in the fiesta, not sure I’m confident enough for a trip that far in the dark lol!

• Like 1

Last post as I'm posting on your thread too much, but do drive the car at night, no roof - if you choose the right road there is nothing like it, do it one day and let me know 👍

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Philb65 said:

Thanks Stuart, I may well come along but it would probably be in the fiesta, not sure I’m confident enough for a trip that far in the dark lol!

No problem, will just be good to say hello. Depending on your lights, driving on country roads can be ‘fun’ 🤪🤣

3 hours ago, itsagoodalife said:

looks great , another Devon owner also .... good times i have the Uniroyals on mine , really impressed with them 

Thanks pal, you aren’t a million miles away, seem to be a few owners around here. Good to hear about the uniroyals, thought about all season tyres but I’ll want to use the 888s summertime. Hopefully see you about sometime.👍

• Like 1