• Malvern, Help Registration Closed

Science Corner

Richard (OldStager)

7 hours ago, Richard (OldStager) said:

Ok, slightly left field with this one, but was none the less happy when this weblink appeared whilst researching something else.

Not finished the whole series, but I watched this when it first aired, was shocked to find out how long ago that actually was.

https://archive.org/details/the-hitchhikers-guide-to-the-galaxy-1981/E01+·+Episode+1.mp4

All episodes available.

When I did my first training course for the BBC i was loaned a set of cassettes of the radio series and was told that the first tv series was in production august 1980

1 hour ago, p k said:

Ahhh, but what's the question, lol....

1980 eh, I don't know which way around they appeared, I was under the illusion the radio series was first and tv second , but no clue.  I have since found all of Mr Adam's audio books narrated by him - no idea from where as I have had them years now, but if I need to drive any distance I put one on , although hard to drive whilst crying with laughter 😂.

Dark matter/ energy . Speaking of dark, is white a colour? ( nothing to do with the video, just something I was thinking about last night) .

2 hours ago, Richard (OldStager) said:

Ahhh, but what's the question, lol....

1980 eh, I don't know which way around they appeared, I was under the illusion the radio series was first and tv second , but no clue.  I have since found all of Mr Adam's audio books narrated by him - no idea from where as I have had them years now, but if I need to drive any distance I put one on , although hard to drive whilst crying with laughter 😂.

Radio first in 1978 on radio four then tv in 1981

The story i like about 42 is when mr adams was a studio manager (did the sound mixing on a radio programme ) on a friday afternoon the sound staff would be writing out their timesheets for the week . because of the 24/7 nature of broadcasting the pay system had payments for nights mornings long hours but the first magic number to get was 42 hours because after that you got overtime .

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, p k said:

Radio first in 1978 on radio four then tv in 1981

The story i like about 42 is when mr adams was a studio manager (did the sound mixing on a radio programme ) on a friday afternoon the sound staff would be writing out their timesheets for the week . because of the 24/7 nature of broadcasting the pay system had payments for nights mornings long hours but the first magic number to get was 42 hours because after that you got overtime .

Ahh, is that where it comes from. Thank you.  Yes that would make sense , oh time sheets - the bain of my life... attempting to justify your work that week, despite having all the paperwork from clients already.

Some of the questions I asked above, have been postulated here, I am aligned with Janna on what is at the singularity and what may happen after that  - ie another big bang . First time I have heard this from an expert though. I would offer to find out for everyone, but sadly other than being dead, any information I did have is unable to escape the gravity . But still, one of the better 1hr 30 odd I have spent on YT.

I struggle with 4D at times, so not sure how I would get on with 10+. However what you could do if we did is rather appealing ( to me at least) .

An informative video, but one that is currently impossible... Since anything that has mass can not travel at light speed, but what if we could ?...

Carrying on the theme, since a warp drive is the only way ( we know of so far ) to get to light speed this video looks into the physics of building one.

Glad it's not just me who struggles with 4D, a well presented and clear talk on where we are up to in Astrophyics.

The Q&A session on the above vid.

On 06/10/2023 at 11:29, Richard (OldStager) said:

Dark matter/ energy . Speaking of dark, is white a colour? ( nothing to do with the video, just something I was thinking about last night) .

We know the speed of light. But what IS the speed of dark? That keeps me up at night... Also, if the universe is still expanding, what "space" is it expanding in to?

Nurse... I'm hearing those voices again...

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, Blatman said:

We know the speed of light. But what IS the speed of dark? That keeps me up at night... Also, if the universe is still expanding, what "space" is it expanding in to?

Nurse... I'm hearing those voices again...

I have a lecture about that if your up for it?.

57 minutes ago, Blatman said:

We know the speed of light. But what IS the speed of dark? That keeps me up at night... 

Well, how dark?

1 hour ago, Blatman said:

Always..

I will have to find which one it was again, it was one I watched a few weeks back, leave that with me. , the very short answer to your expansion question is  - nothing,   nonsensical I agree but the lecture explains why. Mainly due to the simple fact we can't see outside our own universe, but we can model it, string theorists go mad here with the 11 dimensions kicking in and other wacky physics.  I didn't want to stick with one branch of physics too long, but your question is a valid one . As I said leave it with me, may take a night or two.

I love the multiverse theory, 'cos there's a chance that in at least one of them I made the occasional right choices in life once in a while... :durr:

• Haha 3