20 mph limit in Wales.

Richard (OldStager)

11 minutes ago, p k said:

Reply to several comments 

geting anything other than a Labour assembly in wales is virtually impossible , there are large areas that will never vote anything other than labour because of what margaret thatcher did to the miners. 

even if labour do not get a majority none of the other parties will form a coalition with the conservatives because of what margaret thatcher did to the miners. so the government (23 yrs of labour so far ) of wales is decided by the south wales valleys.

The welsh government likes control , they decide what is good for the people ( they loved making up random rules for covid , always more extreme than the rest of uk)

The first thing they did was to buy 31 new car taxing vans ( not that the 20mph was anything to do with more speeding fines)

welsh motorways are already for the most part are 50mph and most dual carriageways are 50 or less and the assembly is already considering a ULEZ on all the major routes out of cardiff.

A warning to the shropshire area members as I am considering moving to the Oswestry area and living out of wales for the first time .

I am glad now I never pursued the idea of living just across the border from the Wirral now, Wirral being my main family home, but sadly outpriced for me today, Wales would have been cheaper for me.

19 minutes ago, Richard (OldStager) said:

I am glad now I never pursued the idea of living just across the border from the Wirral now, Wirral being my main family home, but sadly outpriced for me today, Wales would have been cheaper for me.

spent a lot of time on the wirral as my ex inlaws lived in Irby but they paid about £3000 for their house in the 1950s 

ahh, I was just down the road in Pensby, small world eh.., yes my gran said she paid 7 something K, in the mid 70's too.

5 minutes ago, Richard (OldStager) said:

ahh, I was just down the road in Pensby, small world eh.., yes my gran said she paid 7 something K, in the mid 70's too.

ahh Pensby the posh bit according to my father in law

9 minutes ago, p k said:

ahh Pensby the posh bit according to my father in law

LOL, not sure that's true, my other gran was in Frankby, now that was posh, or was in the 1970's at least.

1 hour ago, p k said:

geting anything other than a Labour assembly in wales is virtually impossible , there are large areas that will never vote anything other than labour because of what margaret thatcher did to the

They said the same thing in the north of England, but look what happened.  Many now argue that voting for the Conservatives achieved nothing for the area, and that's probably true, but the idea of an automatic Labour vote has gone now.

D

9 minutes ago, dvd8n said:

They said the same thing in the north of England, but look what happened.  Many now argue that voting for the Conservatives achieved nothing for the area, and that's probably true, but the idea of an automatic Labour vote has gone now.

D

We have a 4 party system , both of the smaller parties , lib dems and plaid cymru have both stated they will never vote with the conservatives so we are stuck with labour until another party gets a majority . plus we have a part proportional representation which favours the majority party . It would take a massive swing to a non labour party to break through the south wales red wall, such is democracy. 

We also have no Lords function to review government policy so everything is decided by 30 people who also decide who is on the ballot for the next election . 

16 minutes ago, p k said:

We have a 4 party system , both of the smaller parties , lib dems and plaid cymru have both stated they will never vote with the conservatives so we are stuck with labour until another party gets a majority . plus we have a part proportional representation which favours the majority party . It would take a massive swing to a non labour party to break through the south wales red wall, such is democracy. 

We also have no Lords function to review government policy so everything is decided by 30 people who also decide who is on the ballot for the next election . 

The hostility towards the Conservatives in the north east of England was unbelievable.  People voted Labour generationally;  this was reinforced by the brutal deindustrialisation of the '70s that threw entire towns out of work and into poverty.  Labour was safe in assuming the support of the north of England.  Until they weren't.  Until the electorate got sick of having their support assumed.  A swing's not impossible.  If the Labour vote can collapse in the north east of England then it can happen anywhere.

D

I have to agree with @dvd8n there, here in Lancashire my parents were Tory, I was to young to understand any of this at the time, but in later years I saw why, as I eluded to in another post we really need some new parties, no one even in their own party can agree with themselves so what hope do us folks have of working out who to vote for next.

I agree that Wales will never vote in a Tory party majority. It is a bit like South Yorkshire, no matter how inept, stupid the decisions are, it is okay because Thatcher closed the pits.

The hatred in the Valleys for any conservative thinking is real but it is because the poverty that exists there is because 39 years ago the miners strike hastened the closure of pits and they have failed to attract major business investments into the area. The 20 mph has already made existing business look at their operational costs there as a result. 

It is heart breaking to see once vibrant places in the valleys as they are now. 

I cannot see in my lifetime Wales recovering except around Cardiff where the Senedd is as like Westminster money is no object around there. As PK explained the system is rigged and Drakeford wants to go from 60 Assembly members to 96 at an additional cost of £17 million a year to ensure that they never lose

So sorry Wirral....

Does Labour happen to hold overall majority vote on the Wirral, I know it was always a close run thing when I was there ( 16 yrs ago), Liverpool area has mainly been Labour for a while now, so expect that area to go 20mph. Geoff here is always good at his research, so I trust his views and having fact checked him a few times now when I thought, hang on that can't be right can it? - he was.

Yes I was aware they hold no power as it were, just a polling site, I just think the Welsh Gov are being rude not even discussing the matter, the poll shows its citizens are not happy.