Collecting a chassis on a roof rack

Dan Ingram

I've just had notification that my new chassis is ready for collection from Westfield. I need to take my old chassis to them to be destroyed and collect the new one. The only things I'm collecting are the chassis and a couple of other bits that will fit in my car. 

I was planning to hire a van to go down and get it, but then my Dad asked why I wasn't getting it on the roof rack. I've got a Skoda Superb estate, so there is plenty of room on top. 

Is there any reason why I can't transport a chassis on the roof rack?

It's been done before, just need to make sure the rack/car fitment is rated high enough and it's well secured.

I think @Mark (smokey mow) moved one like this some years ago!

1 hour ago, Dave Eastwood (Gadgetman) - Club Chairman said:

It's been done before, just need to make sure the rack/car fitment is rated high enough and it's well secured.

I think @Mark (smokey mow) moved one like this some years ago!

Yes, done it with various cars.

In the case of the Westfield we needed some timber battens on top of the roof bars to raise the height so the transmission hoop on the chassis didn’t hit the roof. But otherwise it was secure ish (Russ cable tied it on as we didn’t have any straps).

mine was also a fully panelled chassis so there was a bit of wind resistance and mpg wasn’t great on the way home.

edit: this was on a mk4 golf estate so a bit smaller than your Skoda.

• Like 1

Roof Rack it is!!

Thanks for that. I think the transmission hoop should be ok with my roof rack. I'll have a test over the weekend.

I bottled it and hired a van. I didn't fancy bringing it back in the rain on top of the car.

IMG_0608.JPG

• Like 4