Sharing what you’ve just done. Not questions. No comments required.

DamperMan

1 hour ago, Man On The Clapham Omnibus said:

I used 15mm spacers on the rear of mine when I bought some wheels and tyres that had an offset that much different from the originals. Longer studs were needed as only eight turns of the nuts seemed marginal. There was debate on here at the time about how many turns were required as minimum for optimum strength. There was no firm conclusion so I thought overkill would avoid any other 'kill'. If 'blind' nuts were fitted, though, bottoming-out of the nuts was a risk if not allowed for.

I just choose 45mm bolts as the originals were 25mm plus the 20mm spacers so my simple logic was that I would end up with the same amount of thread in the hub. What I haven’t been able to verify is how much was in in the first place but it should be all the way through I think, looking at the depth on the wheel etc.

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, Stuart Davis (fatblokestu) AO - Devon & Somerset said:

I just choose 45mm bolts as the originals were 25mm plus the 20mm spacers so my simple logic was that I would end up with the same amount of thread in the hub. What I haven’t been able to verify is how much was in in the first place but it should be all the way through I think, looking at the depth on the wheel etc.

That makes complete sense, exactly how I would have thought it through myself if I were fitting them to my Westfield Stuart 👍

My Jag ones were specific to the model of car, made by Direnza. They really are excellent quality I have to say. 

https://www.direnza.co.uk/product-category/wheel-spacers/

• Thanks 1

It's one example where bolts score over studs and nuts, of course. The only real drawback with bolts is with heavy wheels and trying to align the holes in the wheel with the hub holes. 

Something like these  will make this part much easier than getting a damaged back and a hernia fitting wheel to a hub with no rotational registers such as studs provide.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

20 hours ago, Man On The Clapham Omnibus said:

It's one example where bolts score over studs and nuts, of course. The only real drawback with bolts is with heavy wheels and trying to align the holes in the wheel with the hub holes. 

Something like these  will make this part much easier than getting a damaged back and a hernia fitting wheel to a hub with no rotational registers such as studs provide.

Yes I agree totally. Great idea that too!

20 hours ago, Man On The Clapham Omnibus said:

I got one of those and they are very helpful - especially for the 19" wheels on our X3 which seem to weigh about 50kg 😊

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, Stuart said:

I got one of those and they are very helpful - especially for the 19" wheels on our X3 which seem to weigh about 50kg 😊

At my age all wheels feel like 50kgs 😂

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, Flying Carrot Steve said:

Yes I agree totally. Great idea that too!

Its standard equipment in Alfa Romeos (at least in 156 and 166) . Great tool.

• Like 2

In an incredible act of automotive sleuthing 🕵️😉, I tracked down an oil leak which was from one connection to my oil cooler.

IMG_8127.thumb.jpeg.d9af6965fb989964cff66cd2d125f416.jpeg

After an equally fine piece of diagnosis at our meet last night, Malcolm @Wessex pronounced ‘Stu, your oil cooler is f****d!’ 🤣

IMG_8080.thumb.jpeg.f2785cb1382c5b4625eb93c35480f1a3.jpeg

IMG_8107.thumb.jpeg.08ef3c01e40884dfb8ac3e3a2edddb4e.jpeg

‘Nuff said, replacement ordered and hopefully will be fitted this weekend so I’m up and running again.

• Like 1

Sorted. Just need to change the oil filter and fill him up and we are good. It was an almost perfect fit, just had to adjust a couple of the brackets.

IMG_8176.jpeg

• Like 2