Sharing what you’ve just done. Not questions. No comments required.

DamperMan

14 hours ago, Andrzej said:

Fixed front and rear videorecorder cameras for permanent recording while driving ( mostly to have proof if sh...t hapens with not mine fault).

With rear I am really pleased :) front.. well could not find better place as not wanted cable around window (to be possible mount half hood ) 

Not sure yet what to do with main unit/screen. Dont need it to be on dash permanently, as visibility in Westfield is no issue to need rear camera. Maybe just mount it under dash somewhere. 

Video quality is ok for now, no revelation, but for its purpose ok , reg plate leters easy to read from car going to crash from rear  ;) (rear picture with foil on lens )

Its an Chinese (Aliexpress)  designed for motorcycle set, all approx 60 GBP with SD card. ) 

To mount rear I needed to take off boot. Not happy what I saw - all that dust. Was hoping mounting floor/diffuser to keep rear cleaner. 

Is it normal? Maybe some kind of side covers from wheels are needed to keep rear clean? 

Zdjęcie WhatsApp 2024-04-19 o 20.32.28_46bcd4e8.jpg

Zdjęcie WhatsApp 2024-04-19 o 20.32.27_d681e39c.jpg

Zdjęcie WhatsApp 2024-04-19 o 20.32.28_6ea3901a.jpg

Zdjęcie WhatsApp 2024-04-19 o 20.32.28_7e9388a3.jpg

Zdjęcie WhatsApp 2024-04-19 o 20.32.28_d908af3d.jpgZdjcieWhatsApp2024-04-19o20_32.27_80c5cc00.thumb.jpg.527ba2d9f54bba5bfd789742c0d40d9c.jpgZdjcieWhatsApp2024-04-19o20_32.27_cb1c85c2.thumb.jpg.c51dede58735806d1b8ec09e440a2a6e.jpg

IMG240420-000723-000001F.JPG

IMG240420-000728-000002R.JPG

Do you have a link to the camera system you bought please?  Looks like a great idea! 

As for the dust well all I can tell you is mine is not as dusty and I do have a rear diffuser. Whether that's the reason is anyone's guess but it could be I guess. Most of the underside if my car is flat too, aluminium panels. That may play a part perhaps? Could also be where you drive, are you in a hot dry country? 

Been debating whether to purchase some Compomotive CXRs, but decided to get the minilites powder coated Anthracite, which blends in nicely with all the carbon

This:20230531_161123.thumb.jpg.355d40afc7a7645ffc3da21802f50dbc.jpg

To this:20240420_100749.thumb.jpg.b039cbeaa2cd0e93a17ddea22a3225c3.jpg

20240420_100910.thumb.jpg.bd18c83c6f774d17cc63cc774894280a.jpg

Much better, if I don't mind saying myself😎

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Glen_I said:

Been debating whether to purchase some Compomotive CXRs, but decided to get the minilites powder coated Anthracite, which blends in nicely with all the carbon

This:20230531_161123.thumb.jpg.355d40afc7a7645ffc3da21802f50dbc.jpg

To this:20240420_100749.thumb.jpg.b039cbeaa2cd0e93a17ddea22a3225c3.jpg

20240420_100910.thumb.jpg.bd18c83c6f774d17cc63cc774894280a.jpg

Much better, if I don't mind saying myself😎

I do like Minilites. Anyone any idea how they compare on weight to Team Dynamic 1.2 wheels size for size. 

Mine are 13s. Anyone know what are the lightest wheels available for a Westfield? And if it's worth changing from the TDs?

2 hours ago, Flying Carrot Steve said:

Do you have a link to the camera system you bought please?  Looks like a great idea! 

As for the dust well all I can tell you is mine is not as dusty and I do have a rear diffuser. Whether that's the reason is anyone's guess but it could be I guess. Most of the underside if my car is flat too, aluminium panels. That may play a part perhaps? Could also be where you drive, are you in a hot dry country? 

I bought this one :

https://tinyurl.com/5nfbrjfc

On Aliexpress there is plenty of options - with larger/smaller screeen, no screen just hidden unit, wifi, gps , etc etc. 

As fo the dust - I drive only on dry days . I have made a diffuser after first approx few hundred/1k kilometers. Now approx 3k more _with_ diffuser. Maybe part of reason is I have rather long rear car mud flaps, so dust cant go back so goes toward inside from wheels. Dont know 😕  Its very very tiny parcicles dust. Not attaching for example to rotating driveshafts.  Difference when I did not had a diffuser is that then was more dirt, not dust. 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Flying Carrot Steve said:

I do like Minilites. Anyone any idea how they compare on weight to Team Dynamic 1.2 wheels size for size. 

Mine are 13s. Anyone know what are the lightest wheels available for a Westfield? And if it's worth changing from the TDs?

I have team dynamics pro race LT which are 5.9kg on 15”. The compomotive cxr are 4.7Kg on a 13” 

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Andrzej said:

I bought this one :

https://tinyurl.com/5nfbrjfc

On Aliexpress there is plenty of options - with larger/smaller screeen, no screen just hidden unit, wifi, gps , etc etc. 

As fo the dust - I drive only on dry days . I have made a diffuser after first approx few hundred/1k kilometers. Now approx 3k more _with_ diffuser. Maybe part of reason is I have rather long rear car mud flaps, so dust cant go back so goes toward inside from wheels. Dont know 😕  Its very very tiny parcicles dust. Not attaching for example to rotating driveshafts.  Difference when I did not had a diffuser is that then was more dirt, not dust. 

Yes it could be the mudflaps. I don't have them and don't get the dust. Could be coincidence of course. 

To the end - found location for main unit of videorecorder and a pilot (next to steering wheel , it allows for change front to rear viev on screen and more important to "lock" last  sequence of video as permanent (otherwise files are rewritten in a loop style recording whent there is not enough memory on card) . Or just to take picture. Just for sure , connected power supply via not used button to be possible to switch off camera (one of those above clock) if not needed ... ;)

And managed to hide cables without taking off the scuttle.

Lot of gumnastics and acrobation, but I can check this off my to-do list, uffff...

ZdjcieWhatsApp2024-04-20o21_17.49_075397e1.thumb.jpg.8d6f26f40efd970789bf0e82eef7a195.jpg

ZdjcieWhatsApp2024-04-20o21_17.48_62538157.thumb.jpg.f8241f9ee620a449196762845d3b8048.jpg

EDIT, edited some example video (below) . Stabilization seems quite ok, colours, sound also , exposure - some compensation would be benefit, dont know if there is an option on smarthpone app, did not paired it yet. Resolution acceptable in my eye . 

Not Westfield but definitely car related 

OSF fog light on wife's car not working. Should be a 5 minute job to change the bulb.......

The only way to get to the back of the fog light unit is to remove the front bumper. Which also required removal of front wheels to allow the inner arch liners to be removed to get to the bumber fixings. Ministry of crap design.

Once the bumber was removed I could get access to the unit and found that the earth had come off the lamp unit.

So 3 hours of my life I won't get back but at least I know how the bumber comes off 😛

• Haha 3

12 minutes ago, Chester said:

Not Westfield but definitely car related 

OSF fog light on wife's car not working. Should be a 5 minute job to change the bulb.......

The only way to get to the back of the fog light unit is to remove the front bumper. Which also required removal of front wheels to allow the inner arch liners to be removed to get to the bumber fixings. Ministry of crap design.

Once the bumber was removed I could get access to the unit and found that the earth had come off the lamp unit.

So 3 hours of my life I won't get back but at least I know how the bumber comes off 😛

I swear they make cars these days to deliberately ensure most people can't work on them and have to go to a garage. Absolute nightmare compared to the days of my real passion for cars in the late 70s and 80s, everything seemed so much simpler then. For me at least 😂

• Like 1

To change a pigeon-cracked headlight on our X3 I had to remove the whole front grill and loosen the fixings on the wing. Along with all the plastic underneath of course. Absolute PITA

Just done this 😎

IMG_3112.jpeg

• Like 6

Entirely not car related, but has been taking time away from fixing my car so now it’s done I can get the car sorted.

We decorated my daughter’s playroom for her 10th birthday back in March and she was promised a desk, so I made this. Based around IKEA drawers salvaged from an old chest of drawers which has gone to the tip. All made from 12 and 18mm ply, drawer fronts refaced too to get rid of the MDF or whatever they use.

I have finally taught myself how to use a router properly, and this project is the first not to have blood stains under the paintwork which I guess must be progress 🤣🤣

IMG_7817.jpeg.8cc2c565ea36a8f75997e33dc3a56376.jpeg

IMG_7818.jpeg.d22756fbec388200d7627b2350ab25ad.jpeg

• Like 6

Love the smell of plywood and mostly plain wood while cutting etc . Miss those when only metal glasssfiber oil etc with cars ... Nice but is not pole position as wood.

• Like 3