Dixon glasses/goggles

evosteve

The plastic on my pair has degraded and gone very sticky. Has anybody had the same and managed to clean them up before I bin them?

• Ian Kinder (Bagpuss) - Joint Peak District AO changed the title to Dixon glasses/goggles
4 minutes ago, evosteve said:

The plastic on my pair has degraded and gone very sticky. Has anybody had the same and managed to clean them up before I bin them?

Don't bin them, contact Mike- he may be able to help- has something reacted with the plastic?

image.png.2bfd90f0bb6388f6696d1217de64759b.png

10 minutes ago, evosteve said:

Thanks. Just been kept in their black zipped case, may be age related.

I'll check mine too. Probably haven't taken them out of the case since 2016! I generally use Sun Glasses or the ex-military Googles from @Andy (Sycho) (Can you still supply?)

3 hours ago, evosteve said:

Should be Pixon

1 hour ago, evosteve said:

Should be Pixon

Sorry, I corrected your post title as I thought you meant Dixon- which is the brand mine are and the link above is for Dixons. I'll put it back to Pixon.

• Ian Kinder (Bagpuss) - Joint Peak District AO changed the title to Pixon glasses/goggles
  • Ian Kinder (Bagpuss) - Joint Peak District AO changed the title to Dixon glasses/goggles
1 hour ago, evosteve said:

Just checked their web site and you were right, it was the style of the D I misread in their trade mark on my glasses.

Boing.........it's back to Dixon 😎

• Haha 1

I have some Zenit binoculars that have gone sticky. It's a rubber coating that was popular a few years ago and my Googling suggests it is a natural rubber that has begun to de-polymerise. If I remember rightly Copydex was/is latex which is the state that this rubber might be reverting to.

I have succeeded in getting the stickyness off with isopropyl alcohol but other solvents may work too. I used a rag soaked in the solvent and rubbed the surfaces until the stickyness had reduced or gone. Of course you friendly neighbourhood conspiracy theorist will tell you it's a form of in-built obsolescence!

Edited to add a link to my source: See here

21 hours ago, Ian Kinder (Bagpuss) - Joint Peak District AO said:

I'll check mine too. Probably haven't taken them out of the case since 2016! I generally use Sun Glasses or the ex-military Googles from @Andy (Sycho) (Can you still supply?)

No I’ve only got some well used ones.

But you can still get them from various sources. Same as these.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/275623160593?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=pb9CODs-QMO&sssrc=2349624&ssuid=Wn82ga70Tb-&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Andy (Sycho) said:

And I've got a new set I've never used if anyone is interested PM me.