The WSCC Speed Series Champions

Alex Gaskin

Thats great. piece of research and compilation Alex

I was also 73 and 74 yrs old when I won

Thanks for doing it and we should find somewhere to keep this record

• Like 4

@Alex Gaskin This would have made a great magazine article and still could. Well done. I have taken a liberty and edited a few misnomers like the cc of my engine and that it was I would came 0.07 behind Howard in 2018 not Terry

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Excellent bit of work, Alex, and it brought back some great memories for me, as well as information about the Speed Series before I became involved with Westfields.

• Like 2

Would be fantastic to see in the magazine. Great work Alex, thank you!

• Like 2

Great write up @Alex Gaskin, definitely one for the mag!

• Like 1

100% this should go in the magazine, excellent piece of research and putting things together! Love it!

• Like 1

The process was made a lot easier thanks to Tom Green's early Westfield World articles. Every issue back in the late 90s and early 00s had a good write up on the events that had taken place.

Also, finding out the exact engines of each person was done without much stress thanks to a couple of posts made by @Mark Stanton from over a decade ago. So all the work I had to do was dig around for photos (before the calendar included a photo of the Champ) in old WW magazines, which was an easy enough task thanks to the work of a dedicated few who scanned and uploaded every single issue (from what I can tell).

Like I have said previously, it would be great if more information from those who were around at the time was added, as I have only got information that I know of (some of which is incorrect! 😅).

This is fantastic Alex.

Brought back a lot of memories. Makes me want to dig out my old Westfield Worlds.

I was there in 1999 and remember Dave Jones. he later ran a twin bike engined way before bike engine cars were a thing. Amazing to see at the time.   

Would love to know what some of the past winners are up to now. did they carry on in motor sport, do other things.

Merry Christmas all

• Like 1

I think I must hold the record for coming 2nd overall the most times on at least 5 occassions by my reckoning 

• Haha 3

• 2 weeks later...

and although I suspect its somewhat of a "Triggers Broom" scenario that Terrys championship wins came about from the double championship winning car purchase from Andy Rushworths car  👍  that car has some pedigree

Nick Lear still has his car from year 1 - after winning the championship he went onto to race in the Locost Championship and 2023 will see him out in the MR2 race championship alongside Richard Brown also ex SS driver.

Not sure what became of David Jones ?

Lindsay Pointon retired from motorsport and now runs a successful IT business

Tom Green also retired and currently lives in France

Tom Green alongside myself and Ron Siddle got the championship off the ground - WSCC Motorsport Ltd was later founded a couple of years later by Tom, myself, Steve Robinson and Mike Smith when the championship became really popular in order to organise it all more professionally, where we often had over 100 registered drivers.

The other championship winners are still around the Westfield scene, some in a more sedate manner and others still going strong and even faster.

As an aside if you're ever around a paddock you will still often see George Newrick ... one of the first drivers to enter all those years ago and still competes at a local level in the same blue Westfield, as all those years ago 👍

• Like 2

Since I started competing in the speed series approx 20 years ago (cant remember exactly when) I have had 5 different Westfields with 10 different engine types/capacity etc including a 2.5 Millington Diamond, 1548cc,  Busa , SBD 300bhp Duratech and a Neil Brown Duratech. The car I bought from Andy Rushworth (CAT Motorsport) had a Blackbird engine fitted which I replaced with a Honda Fireblade. The car came with a lot of lightened parts as well as carbon fibre panels and currently weighs around 405Kgs. I have had this car for approx 10 years and developed it quite a lot. I am very pleased that I have now (at last) won back to back championships.

• Like 2

Post now updated to include our most recent champion, Adam Phelps!

• Like 2