Q or not a Q that is the question

Rob Waldron

I would say the car spec / build quality / set up / condition far outweighs any plate related factor when it comes to buying. Pros and cons to both, but personally If the car is good I would not let the plate dictate the sale.

With an age related plate, you typically don't need an MOT after first reg for the first three yrs (so this usually benefits the builder), and you can can also put a private plate on. The emissions tend to be more defined for the age related plates, Q plates can be confusing for the MOT stations, so some on this forum have had to get further clarification during MOT time (but it usually works out). Q plates don't age the car (obviously), so no one can tell how old it is. 

13 minutes ago, Jenko said:

With an age related plate, you typically don't need an MOT after first reg for the first three yrs (so this usually benefits the builder)

Same with a Q

• Like 1

Folks, I (as well as some of the original posters, who thought better, I guess?) Have hidden a couple of innocent leg pulling posts. Not because there's anything wrong with a bit of gentle Micky taking, but because one thing the recent administrators thread has taught us; is, we really don't have any idea who is reading our humble forums, and what (though unlikely) repercussions that might have.

Lets keep some things for when we get together face to face and know who's listening!

24 minutes ago, Kingster said:

Same with a Q

No idea why I thought it was one year!.....a quick search suggests in the past there has been confusion from the DVLA and VOSA.....looks like some had to have an MOT other didnt!...

55 minutes ago, Jenko said:

No idea why I thought it was one year!.....a quick search suggests in the past there has been confusion from the DVLA and VOSA.....looks like some had to have an MOT other didnt!...

Yep, on my first Westfield, I got a notice of MoT due in the first year. At the time didn’t bother fighting it and just did it, but it was technically wrong, and should have been three.

I saw it as a personal challange to get an age related plate and now I've achieved this I would quite happily accept a "Q". Having the  age related plate is a good talking point though and keeps the brain cells working trying to remember all the components used. Drawback with mine would be the car is worth far more in parts than selling as a whole.

• 4 weeks later...

I've just had my Q plated westy MOT'd at a different station than I normally use (previous mechanic has moved on so I'm looking for a new kit friendly station), and the tester stated that my emissions were 'way high'. I kindly mentioned that wasn't it the case that it's visual only and he said that the rules have changed this year and it goes by the year of the engine? Anyone confirm..?

8 hours ago, Rab (bombero) Reid said:

I've just had my Q plated westy MOT'd at a different station than I normally use (previous mechanic has moved on so I'm looking for a new kit friendly station), and the tester stated that my emissions were 'way high'. I kindly mentioned that wasn't it the case that it's visual only and he said that the rules have changed this year and it goes by the year of the engine? Anyone confirm..?

Just point him to the manual 

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/mot-inspection-manual-for-private-passenger-and-light-commercial-vehicles/8-nuisance#section-8-2-1

F6CB2B1B-41BA-41A4-958E-6AD6DDE45232.jpeg

and nowhere in this years updates is there a mention of emissions 

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/mot-inspection-manual-for-private-passenger-and-light-commercial-vehicles/updates

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Rab (bombero) Reid said:

I’ve just been through the same thing and the tester pretty much said that word for word. 

15 minutes ago, TAFKARM said:

I’ve just been through the same thing and the tester pretty much said that word for word. 

What was the outcome of that?

Just looked at the recent amendments (went back to 2021) and no mention of any change in which test to apply, just some details around procedures/admin IF a full test is applied.

Looks to be testers not reading the rules properly?

1 minute ago, corsechris said:

What was the outcome of that?

Just looked at the recent amendments (went back to 2021) and no mention of any change in which test to apply, just some details around procedures/admin IF a full test is applied.

I went elsewhere! 

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, corsechris said:

precisely this!

and a bit of “I’ve been doing mot’s for twenty years, so don’t tell me how I should be doing my job“

It’s always best to politely ask prior to booking a test if they know about the q plate rules and kit cars in particular. 

• Like 3

Thankfully, my Q plate cognisant MOT tester is still going. He had a bit of a hiatus earlier in the year and I thought I might have to be looking elsewhere, but then I remembered a couple of occasions when other guys there had tested our car without issues.

Can’t imagine a tester being in a good mood if he was ‘educated’ about his mistake!

• Like 1

Thanks guys, really appreciate your comments and input! He still passed me, even not issuing any advisories! 🤔 So, ultimately I'm not complaining (not for another year anyway 😄), but it's always a worry year on year!

• Like 4