Finding somewhere to MoT your kit car, (New FAQ)

Tim Reid

Hi,

I cannot open a new FAQ. There is a thread which says to contact Webadmin but the user is SORN and mailbox full.

How can a new FAQ be opened?

Posting here so I don't have to re-write:

People often ask for recommendations of "kit car friendly" MOT centers and/or drive for miles (sometimes in bad weather) to get a test from a certain known place.

In my experience it doesn't need to be this hard. I've used three MOT places over the years but spoken to a number of others.

I've found you don't need to drive for miles for a recommended 'kit car sympathetic' place but call them and ask a few key questions...

Have you you tested kit cars before?

Mines a Q so there is no emissions test, smoke only. Ok?

My car may/will not fit in most brake rollers, do you have another method for testing?

Can I help with the MOT as there are a number of different buttons and/or the pedals are close together so hard to operate with your safety shoes?

I find the responses to one or two of these questions reveal if the place is flexible and helpful. 

I've now found somewhere half a mile from home so no longer have to worry about rain. I stay in the car, they are a passenger while I show the brakes work on the road out the front (not rollers), etc. BUT importantly they do check over the car, inspecting the chassis carefully, wheel bearing, bushings, etc.

I hope this helps.

• Dave Eastwood (Gadgetman) - Club Chairman changed the title to Finding somewhere to MoT your kit car, (New FAQ)

Thread moved to FAQ, now, and tidied to keep on topic.

• Thanks 1