Does anyone know anything about this SEight?

NigelO

I've sold my rather raw Zetec Westie and I'm looking around for the next plaything - it might be another Westie, or it might be something different

Just seen this on Autotrader - does anyone know anything about it?

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202205316358153?sort=relevance&postcode=ws152ha&onesearchad=New&onesearchad=Nearly New&onesearchad=Used&radius=1500&advertising-location=at_cars&make=Westfield&include-delivery-option=on&page=1

• Like 1

Don't know anything about the car, but it looks well built. It seems that just about any Westfield sold by dealers (Toybox excluded) seems to be "built by an engineer". I was an engineer for 20 years, but most of what I made was ductwork and fire escapes... 😂

They don't give many details for a "mega tuned V8" so I would need to see a proper list of tuning parts and a RR printout before believing the hype. I would imagine it still goes like a scalded cat though as even a standard V8 is around 150 bhp with huge amounts of torque. If it is as they say and putting out 250bhp, that would be a awesome drive! 

Maybe someone else on here knows a bit more about it. 

As I said earlier, it does look well put together. 

19 minutes ago, GaryD1971 said:

and fire escapes... 😂

And I fitted the alarm systems that your escapes were used with 😆, long time ago though.

• Like 1

Hi Nigel. No idea about this actual car but mine is a 3.5ltr V8 with Holly carb etc. On a rolling road it is 200hp. Obviously there are ways to enhance hp but I would need to see report to satisfy myself that the details advertised are correct. 
You would also never need to rev a V8 to 7000. On normal use I don’t go over 3500. 
Either way good fun. Wheelspin in 3rd just with the right foot application (corners not necessary) will make you smile. 

• Like 4

To rev a rover V8 to 7000rpm takes a fair bit of extra work, such as solid lifters (and a different cam, springs), adjustable push rods, possibly roller rockers, and probably ported heads for 250bhp on a 3.5ltr. So It would be good to find out exactly what work has been done. If it does rev out to 7000 and makes power at this level, then 250bhp sounds plausible. 

My 4ltr runs out of puff at 5000rpm as do most Rv8's on standard hydraulic lifters, and this is the limiting factor for bhp at the wheels:

image.png.4133280abbf9ca389f2facae5dba8856.png 

Wheels look good, and car looks like its in great condition.....Not a fan of the roll bar, I would personally change this to a better one. And the number plate is cool...that must be worth a few quid.

Hi Nigel,

Its a V8 in the best colour. Buy it! 😃

OK, on the sensible side, I find those figures hard to believe given a few small indicators (the low profile of the air filter on the carb you can do better, the giant battery(why save a few £ here if you have spend loads getting the car's power up?) and it being a 3.5.

As others have said it is possible to get those figures out of a 3.5 with a lot of work and money, and I would have expected that to carry through to the induction and exhaust set up too. This car on the face of it looks like it may have restricted airflow inwards and potentially exhaust flow outwards- not a recipe for top end power output.

In theory side pipes really don't let the RV8 engine breathe that well unless they are well set up (eg: you have a balance pipe between each collector), as the cylinder firing order can lead pressure differences and cause one bank to retard the other reducing power.

Odd things that would annoy me, but each to their own- With side pipes I would lose the valance at the back. I have mine to hide the underslung exhausts but on that car it is just a parachute. That battery is gigantic and probably weighs more than it needs to- change for a gel battery. The roll bar is ornamental. The 'genuine carbon wings' and guards look distinctly carbon effect to me.

All that said, even if the numbers are optimistic (my 3.9 stg2 with some twiddly bits was dynoed at 248bhp and has 215bhp at the rear wheels @5200rpm), it will still be pretty rapid but in a different way to say a blown 4 pot. It will also have a really nice sound track 😁

On the face of it it looks like a nice car but I would suggest it needs a few bits checking out in detail if you were going to buy it. It also suggests that I have undervalued mine for insurance purposes!

Luke.

6 hours ago, Labrat said:

I have undervalued mine for insurance purposes!

Mine is insured on approved value and on renewal this year (Feb) the insurers rang me and upped the value by £5K saying that it had 'appreciated' in value since I bought it despite me seriously adding to the mileage and it being 7 years older. Maybe @Labratyou should revisit your stated value!!. Not many cars go up in value. :)

• Like 1

Looks like a nice car to me, even if the bhp figures do prove to be optimistic. Could the selling dealer arrange to have the car dyno tested? Either way, it has to be worth going to have a look and a test drive.

My lightly enhanced 3.9 has maximum power at 5100rpm, giving nearly 210bhp at the wheels (so about 245 at the engine). I never intentionally rev it beyond this.

• Like 1