Driving / Race shoes

Richard (OldStager)

Like I say, an hour at Sports Direct will pay dividends. And to be fair their pricing isn't massively out of the way so it could be a very productive use of your time. I would not go to Demon Tweeks for this particular requirement...

• Thanks 1

Ok got ya, fairly sure I have a local one around here.👍

Using their store finder I have one 3.06 miles away 👍, guess what I'm doing today...

@Richard (OldStager) I wear my Lonsdales every day to work and out and get at least two years out of them. When they get kicked in, they become my garage pair and I get a new 'out' pair. I've been doing that for the last 12-13 years with them. You can get either traditional leather ones or suede, but I prefer the former as they'll take a polish and last a bit longer. For under £30, there's little to fault with them.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, BigSkyBrad said:

@Richard (OldStager) I wear my Lonsdales every day to work and out and get at least two years out of them. When they get kicked in, they become my garage pair and I get a new 'out' pair. I've been doing that for the last 12-13 years with them. You can get either traditional leather ones or suede, but I prefer the former as they'll take a polish and last a bit longer. For under £30, there's little to fault with them.

Funny you should say that , look what I brought home...

IMG_1157.thumb.JPG.b2a8f00fb27715ea6cbbce07a2550646.JPG

IMG_1161.thumb.JPG.ad3f9deb47355c5de38d0b294c30f87b.JPG

Had them on all afternoon, and very happy with them , although driving the car has reminded me of the spacer I fitted to the clutch pedal  - since the deck shoes I have been using for over a decade had much thinner soles , combined with my scitatica which when it was at its worst prevented me using the car (until the spacer was fitted).

The Lonsdales are a thicker sole and now causes my left knee to hit the wheel when driving, so bizarre such a small difference in sole thickness changes the driving position so much. I made a start on removing that spacer so hoping all will be back to normal.

Thank you all for the input and great advise folks 👍👍

• Like 2

Oh I forgot to add, I am normally a size 9 / 44 euro size, on the Lonsdale shoes of the ones I tried , every one of them needed one size higher than I am. So from size 9 to size 10. The assistant brought out a 9.5 but that was too tight as well - the 10 was perfect .👍

• Like 1

Just looked at my recent purchases. All my Reeboks are a size 10 / 44.5 and the Skechers are size 10 / 45

They can't both be right. Skechers on the left, Reebok on the right, both purchased in the last 6 months....

shoe sizes.jpg

Lonsdale appear to be the same as the Sketchers then, the assistant did say they were sized oddly but they usually get ones that fit, which he did.

IMG_1172.thumb.JPG.9bb2df759dda52f709e707d65d5532b2.JPG

I'm sure I was told by an Adidas shoe designer:

UK size labelling is often just an 'approximation' of EU size for non UK made footwear.

The UK size generally being rounded up or down to a whole number, with some to nearest 1/2.

Then factor in poor QC control and you have the difficulties in buying to labelled size!

My driving shoes are labelled UK 9 & EU 43,1/3 which I think may be an accurate 'translation'!

On 05/07/2022 at 14:26, The artist formerly known as Rush Motorsport said:

Piloti are good if you don't want to look like an absolute wet wipe down the pub. 

https://www.pilotiuk.co.uk/collections/mens-driving-shoes?page=2

Your right I can see you in these purple slip ons supping a pint 😂Screenshot_20220707-134030.thumb.png.e4b1da49cd053e0c6f4f1b6848c3225c.png

• Haha 1

On 05/07/2022 at 11:25, BigSkyBrad said:

I'm a cheapskate too, so I wear Lonsdale Camden - they are narrow, leather and have the desired rounded extended heel, and if you squint and blur your vision, they look just like Puma Speedcats, which I wanted but they don't make anymore.

https://www.sportsdirect.com/lonsdale-camden-mens-trainers-110054

EDIT - it appears the Puma Speedcat is back by popular demand...

https://uk.puma.com/uk/en/pd/speedcat-og-%2B-sparco-driving-shoes/307171.html?dwvar_307171_color=05

Thanks for the link, I’m a cheapskate too 🤣. Just received a pair of the Lonsdale Camden and they seem excellent for the money. I’m a size 11, but took a risk and ordered some 10.5 as my car is a narrow body and the pedal box is quite tight. They are snug, but perfect for the job, not too uncomfortable for walking short distances either.

F70D82CF-7BF9-43F8-89C2-EBA1974C8201.thumb.jpeg.b8b2b4dd95cc93e52a267b0be3234767.jpeg

5EE7DE1A-4E53-4044-9D5B-DFC0D6C56322.thumb.jpeg.4ac6233e77d78bfed9ed70781c9ea0c9.jpeg

• Like 2

@BigSkyBrad should be on commission I think, give Lonsdale a call mate...😄

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, fatblokestu said:

Thanks for the link, I’m a cheapskate too 🤣. Just received a pair of the Lonsdale Camden and they seem excellent for the money. I’m a size 11, but took a risk and ordered some 10.5 as my car is a narrow body and the pedal box is quite tight. They are snug, but perfect for the job, not too uncomfortable for walking short distances either.

F70D82CF-7BF9-43F8-89C2-EBA1974C8201.thumb.jpeg.b8b2b4dd95cc93e52a267b0be3234767.jpeg

5EE7DE1A-4E53-4044-9D5B-DFC0D6C56322.thumb.jpeg.4ac6233e77d78bfed9ed70781c9ea0c9.jpeg

Oh and I paid £26.99 yesterday as well 🤔

37 minutes ago, Richard (OldStager) said:

Oh and I paid £26.99 yesterday as well 🤔

So, I’m even more of a cheapskate than you :) . I found that the navy/white and black/blue ones are two quid cheaper 👍😃

B65BA369-06F9-482D-A5FF-86E935400701.jpeg