hullavington on Friday

Toby Mack

Anyone else here at hullavington last friday? From memory there were a couple of other westies, a V8 and a duratec.

I did talk to one guy but didn't get a name, if you are here, shout, it would be nice to put a name to the face!

Event was good as usual (if a tad cold! ) but my car didn't really behave itself. 1st I got smoke in the cockpit above 60mph. Distraction from this caused me to kill a cone or two. Then it started missing at part throttle (bit of brass swarf in an idle jet! ), then the gearlever came off! :0

To top it all, the car rolled off the front of the trailer on the way home (I now know how NOT to tie a car down!! ), smashing the nosecone plus other damage. :arse:  :arse:  :arse:  

Not one of my better days........

Anyone got a spare nosecone or gearlever, please see the wanted section!

Toby  :arse:  :down:

Sorry to hear you had problems. I can imagine it was a little cold!

I'm hoping to get a few little issues resolved on my car (gearbox, LSD fitted and RAC roll bar) and then get along to some track days soon.

Will probably go to Hullavington / Keevil again, and looking at doing some 'real' circuits too. Perhaps Llandow / Pembrey / Castle Combe (although Combe still scares me :))

Andy

Keevil sounds better than hulavington but I haven't been yet. I was tempted by Llandow at the weekend (for £69!;) but swmbo said I had to visit my parents instead!

I like Castle combe. It isn't as scarey as it is made out to be as long as you are sensible. Mind you, I have only done it in my lotus, I think it might be a bit fast for a knackered old xflow westy :(

Hmmm, done both Keevil and Hullavington, not sure which I preferred to be honest. Keevil was a lot more flowing, no corners below 3rd gear. Hullavington has got some nice tight twisty bits that you really get to have fun on :)

Andy

Keevil was a lot more flowing, no corners below 3rd gear.

You weren't trying hard enough :devil: And I've already spoken to you about Combe.  :bangshead:

How's about a Southern Softies outing to Keevil one day? Wiltshire Wooftahs welcome natch :devil:

Which corner at Keevil needs second gear then?

I think the Chelt, Glos and Wilts AO is talking about arranging a Westy only day at Hullavington or Keevil sometime this year (with Motorsport Events).

Wasn't there a casualty at Combe the other weekend? I thought I saw a car being taken off on a low loader. Was that damage or just a mechanical problem?

Andy

I've seen two casualties (cars, not people! ) at CC but (according to spectators) both were a case of more balls than brains at avon/quarry.

I should admit that I have ended up facing the wrong way out of quarry but at least I had the sense to mess up the exit, not the entry which is where things can get nasty!

Quarry is the right hander after the left kink after the start, yes?

If so, then I watched an action day there many years ago, and there were a number of interesting moments!

There was also the rather unfortunate (and expensive) incident with the Lotus 11 at the action day last August...

:(

Andy

Quarry is the right hander after the left kink after the start, yes?

Yes

At Keevil last September the 180 degree turn that was between the pit entrance/exit was definitely a 2nd gear chance to get lots of oversteer on the way out - in the dry anyway. Let me know if the Wilts mob sign up for a day :D

Some of the cars turned up on low loaders at Combe - the only damage on the day was, I believe, a very pretty (and new) Ginetta that stuffed it at Quarry. The damage was relatively superficial though and he completed the day.

Cheers

Mike

At Keevil last September the 180 degree turn that was between the pit entrance/exit was definitely a 2nd gear chance to get lots of oversteer on the way out - in the dry anyway. Let me know if the Wilts mob sign up for a day :D

Ah right, I was taking that in third. Wasn't sure how dodgy my gearbox was (have trouble engaging second), so was taking it easy. Still got plenty of oversteer in third though :). Perhaps it's that weeny engine you've got :D

Combe still scares me ;)

Andy

That's not a weeny engine that's a howling 4age ...

I'm up for some track day action soon, but I've only got an ickle 900cc, will I be allowed on the track ...??

Mike, fancy a blat up to Swindon way when it gets a bit warmer, we could pop in and see Mr H's Zetec .. :p

Nick.

That's not a weeny engine that's a howling 4age ...

I know exactly what kind of engine he has (he harps on about it every chance he gets ;)).

Come on guys, nothing wrong with a bit of friendly ribbing every now and again :)

And leave my Zetec alone ;)

Andy

Not if he's going to be rude about my car...

If you can't take the heat... :D

Andy