Ap racing tandem master cylinder

mikey p

I would say less than 0.5 of a thread, just the smallest of gaps but looks to have sealed OK after a couple of days driving, will look for a couple of longer unions and then cut of the flared end off the brake pipe and remake, luckily the pipes are a little too long so no need to make all new pipes. Biggest pain is re bleeding the brakes again. 

Can you point me to the correct master cylinder on the Caterham shop? There seems to be a few to choose from.

@Hafod I've just fitted the AP item westfield used to supply.

Plenty of thread showing on my unions:

image.png.aa40dd949c72aa4d44cf3ebc62202250.png

How are you getting on with yours? 

Not a lot of room to swing a spanner when fitting them!

No leakage but no threads showing, you have really long unions compared to mine. I’ll post a picture later. 

• 1 month later...

Quick question, Does anyone on here have Westfield hispec front of rear calipers and have upgraded from the Westfield master cylinder to the AP racing master cylinder? Any comments on if it’s a worthwhile upgrade considering the £300+ cost? Does it make a big difference even with the HiSpec callipers? 

On 27/07/2022 at 20:12, Rexer200 said:

Quick question, Does anyone on here have Westfield hispec front of rear calipers and have upgraded from the Westfield master cylinder to the AP racing master cylinder? Any comments on if it’s a worthwhile upgrade considering the £300+ cost? Does it make a big difference even with the HiSpec callipers? 

Can anyone shed any light on this? I’m trying to find out if it’s worth me upgrading to the Ap racing MC with the HiSpec callipers ?

I did the upgrade the other way about , swapping out Hi-spec std front for AP calliper and vented disc, rear I went for Golf callipers. I then had a squeal free stoppers and a reliable hand brake. To be fair, I only ran hi-spec for max 200 ish miles, but they did sqeal! 

Then I went AP m/c

Andy

• 1 month later...

I have fitted the AP master cylinder from caterham….do I run it now without the fiesta pressure reducer fitted..I am guessing so if it’s now a 60/40 split.

On 20/09/2022 at 00:28, BIZZY said:

I have fitted the AP master cylinder from caterham….do I run it now without the fiesta pressure reducer fitted..I am guessing so if it’s now a 60/40 split.

The AP cylinder is a 50/50 split, so be careful if using 60/40 as a basis for any calculations!

I'm not familiar with the Fiesta part, but if it's already fitted can you run with it and see how it is, before removing it?

3 minutes ago, DIY-Si said:

The AP cylinder is a 50/50 split, so be careful if using 60/40 as a basis for any calculations!

Absolutely, I've no idea where the 60:40 idea came from, but it's been around for as long as I've been in the club, and I confess to having been one of the guilty ones, repeating it, in the past.

It is, as Si said, 50:50.

Can anyone confirm the older girlings with P and S outlets are 60/40?

I also presume that everyone running the ap tandem MC is doing so with a bias valve fitted?

10 minutes ago, mikey p said:

I also presume that everyone running the ap tandem MC is doing so with a bias valve fitted?

Nope. I'm sure someone possibly is, but 90+% of the installations definitely don't.

Important Information

Please review our Terms of Use, Guidelines and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.