• Malvern, Help Registration Closed

Ap racing tandem master cylinder

mikey p

I also suffered with hi spec hubs being ****e. Machined wrong on the bearing race surfaces. Fitted a set of siltech hubs and issue went away. Mine was so bad it was not run able as it was. Was mm rather than fractions of a mm.

• Sad 2

Project AP Racing Master cylinder starts this weekend, Caterham master cylinder has arrived and hope the fit is not too difficult with the brake pipe, no concerns with the front pipe but the short rear pipe may be an issue and needs a slight tweak. 

Hopefully all goes well and bleeding the brakes again gives no issue. 

27972EB3-CB58-4ABA-8128-0DC995155823.jpeg

• Like 3

AP Racing master Cylinder In

not a difficult job and all done with brakes bled in 2hrs. The longer boss on the m/c was not  a problem but as it’s deeper the brake pipe union screw has gone in all the way just as the pipe has bottomed out. Looks ok but would have liked to see some thread left. Will need to check any leakage after some heavy breaking. 

going for a test drive now to see if it feels any different. I hope so after £377. 

76A88BCA-C587-470A-89C3-3868B498FA1F.jpeg

• Like 1

Great result, much better brake pedal without the soft pedal feel at the start of the travel. Wish my o/s brake disk was better as it still vibrates. 

• Like 2

On 03/06/2022 at 07:56, New display name REQUIRED said:

It’s well worth it, best brake upgrade I’ve done. 

Told you :)

1 minute ago, New display name REQUIRED said:

Told you :)

Indeed!

Yes it’s a great upgrade, had a great blast round the great Orme to further test it 😂. Got back with my nose cone half hanging off, lost one of the fixing bolt/thumbscrews. Luckily I have a spare and no damage done. 

Further update, had to cut the push rod thread down by 10mm so the brake pedal is in line with the clutch. Not so easy to do in situ with the end of a hack saw blade. 

• Like 1

That's normal anyway, (though the precise amount does vary, installation to installation.)

On 10/06/2022 at 19:09, Hafod said:

The longer boss on the m/c was not  a problem but as it’s deeper the brake pipe union screw has gone in all the way just as the pipe has bottomed out. Looks ok but would have liked to see some thread left. Will need to check any leakage after some heavy breaking. 

I'm really quite glad of this bit, as I feared mine would need longer unions fitting. Have you had any weepage at all, or is it all sealed up and dry?

No leakage but I’ll keep an eye on it for a while. Would have liked to see a few threads on the union to be sure it’s the pipe that had bottomed out. I think it has but only just. 

Good to know the M/C fitted up ok.

Given the function , for peace of mind I would swap the unions on the brake pipes for longer threaded ones if it looks to only ‘just’ be long enough.

Alternatively, could the bosses on the m/c be filed back to effectively have more clearance to the threaded hex?

A photo of the pipes entering the m/c would be good @Hafod

Just my engineering OCD. I can’t help myself being concerned as the lack of a robust fluid seal would be not worth thinking about!

Not wishing to steal your success

Andy

• Like 1

I used the caterham one too. Yes the union bosses are deeper but even after tightening there's still a couple of threads showing.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Greenstreak-Andy D said:

Given the function , for peace of mind I would swap the unions on the brake pipes for longer threaded ones if it looks to only ‘just’ be long enough.

Bob investigated this a few years ago, am sure he concluded there was fully sufficient depth for a robust seal.

1 hour ago, Dave Eastwood (Gadgetman) - Club Chairman said:

Bob investigated this a few years ago, am sure he concluded there was fully sufficient depth for a robust seal.

So long as at least 2 full threads are clearly visible after union is tightened….. would be my recommendation 

Important Information

Please review our Terms of Use, Guidelines and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.