Side screens....

Major Stare

i have an aeroscreen and dont have any probs even in the recent cold weather eyes watering now thats a different story it could be the cleaner air!!! :D

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• adhawkins

• Major Stare

• higgsti

• Nick.Petty

Top Posters In This Topic

I've never been in a car with an aeroscreen, but AIUI they don't suffer from the same turbulence (the airflow over and around the aeroscreen is a lot smoother than that around the sides of a windscreen), so you won't feel the 'vacuum' like effect we're talking about here.

Do you wear a helmet with the aeroscreen?

Andy

I've never been in a car with an aeroscreen, but AIUI they don't suffer from the same turbulence (the airflow over and around the aeroscreen is a lot smoother than that around the sides of a windscreen), so you won't feel the 'vacuum' like effect we're talking about here.

That's correct.  But 1/2 doors, apparently, help reduce the buffeting still further because the air still swirls round the back of the scuttle.

I have a cunning plan about what to do to create some 1/2 doors once it's all caged up, but I'll have to see if it's worth the hassle.

I have a cunning plan about what to do to create some 1/2 doors once it's all caged up, but I'll have to see if it's worth the hassle.

I'm all ears.  :suspect:  :suspect:  ???

I might try again with the small wind deflectors and without side doors. :sheep:

How long have you had the car Jon? Really, you do get used to the odd 'I can't breathe' sensation fairly quickly...

I wouldn't go spending any money until you've had the car a month or two...

Andy

I might try again with the small wind deflectors and without side doors. :sheep:

How long have you had the car Jon? Really, you do get used to the odd 'I can't breathe' sensation fairly quickly...

I wouldn't go spending any money until you've had the car a month or two...

Andy

I think it was you Andy that we was telling just this to not so long ago  :D

Why not wear a full face Moto X mask - the sort that has goggles and a face protector in one ?

John

Why not wear a full face Moto X mask - the sort that has goggles and a face protector in one ?

Cos you'd look even more silly than I do in my hat?

:D

Andy

I'm all ears.  :suspect:  :suspect:  ???

Wellllll.....

I was looking at the cage and was thinking that I could get a local sail-maker to make up some canvas 1/2 doors which wrapped around the cage and clipped together with something like press-studs so there'd be no drilling into the cage or bodywork.   The alternative would be to secure them to the scuttle just in front of the cage and have them follow the outside of the tubes and wrap around the rearmost tube somehow.

It's going to take a little experimentation, but I reckon, based on the pictures of Tim's cage, it's possible.

I was also going to get them to make up a cover to go over the whole cage to replace the tonneau for when the car is parked somewhere.

Its mainly a psychological thing, the sensation of the wind blowing up your nostrils invokes a 'gagging' reflex. To get past this ( when I frst got the car, for the first couple of days I struggled with breathing at speeds over 55MPH ) put your right hand ( if you are the driver! ) up to the right hand side of your nose, touching your face and suddenly you will be able to breath freely - calm down and breath normally and then slowly move your hand away and as you start to 'panic', just force youself to breath normally again. Within a short time, you will be over the 'reflex' and unless you have a cold ( making the membranes of your nostrils very sensitive ) you will be able to drive at high speeds without the breathing problem.

only wear helmet on motorway unless its p******** it down.i cant see how getting hit by the wind directly in the face can be any easier to cope with than turbulance caused by full screen.we could do with our own group buy on willeys i keep missing it on blatchat are they as good as they say.use oneil fleecy trapper hat and a windproof balaclava from tog 24 if its really cold and either oakleys or bolle safety glasses in yellow to match the car and handy while doing jobs on the car:D :D:D