• Malvern, Help Registration Closed

Bike engined cars

Nick.Petty

Being a complete ignoramus as far as bike engined cars go but liking immensely the fact that they rev to 14,000 rpm, what should one look out for when viewing, as opposed to with a more conventional car engined machine.

Before it kicks off, this is not a question designed to start the CEC v BEC debate again!!!!

Cheers,

Nick.

Ideally, take someone with you who has experience of the type of car you're looking at.

Andy

Hi Andy,

Absolutely agree but I am seeing it at v short notice!

Any takers in the morning up t'midlands???  :D

Any views on how many coats I should wear that far North?

Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr  :p

Nick.

Any views on how many coats I should wear that far North?

Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr  :p

Nick.

Tee shirt & 1/2 dozen pies should see you right........ :p

Nick, what engine does it have fitted?

IMHO, a lack of reverse gear (unless it's electric) would be a selling point if what I read on here is anything to go by.... :devil:  :p  :t-up:

Nick

If you're looking at Keith Greens car  :D  :D  ;)  :D  ;)

Then no worries  ;)  :D  most of the SS drivers have seen it on many occasions and they'll probably all say how tidy and well looked after it is  ;)  :D  :D  ;) price ain't bad either  ;)  :D

Nick

The RRX is the last of the carb'd blade engines and so is probably the best blade engine to have in a BEC, it should pull cleanly from about 3k and strongly from about 5-6k. The later engines are a bit torquier and nicer in the mid-range than the earlier 893 engines found in most Megablades, but overall only a smidge quicker.

There isnt really too much to look for tho, it should pull strongly all the way to 11,750 limter (don't rev it to 14k tho, the seller might not be happy :D ). Make sure it doesnt jump out of gear or miss gears too often, sometimes this can be down to sloppy gearchange mechanisms, but also can also indicate worn dogs in the gearbox which is a pain to fix. The clutch will be grabby and will clunk when going into first, and sometimes it wont go into first without bringing the clutch up and back down again whilst in neutral, but thats all normal. Its also normal that you can't find most of the gears unless the engine is running and you are moving, so dont be concerned if the gearbox feels weird whilst stationary. Listen out for clutch slip on hard acceleration, you'll notice it most around 6-8k in my experience, any slippage is the sign of a tired clutch. Clutches are almost a consumable on a BEC tho, and very easy to change so dont let it worry you too much unless its slipping badly which can damage the basket over time if left.

Chris

Blatters you have worried me now ...it is Keith 's car .... why the tongue biting encouragement

Cos he usually see's the back of Keiths car  :D  :devil:  :D  :devil:  :D

Tis only a taste of Blats humour  ;)  ;)  ;)

Take a bankers draft and trailer with ya  :D  ;)  Stoney Stanton  :D  ;)  :D that's irony  ;)  :devil:  :D  ;)

nick is the car in wolverhampton lilac in colour if so it was built by megabladepaul and from what ive heard is well put together .if it is i made him an offer over the phone whitch he wouldent except until 3 weeks later when i had bought my megablade dont listen to what people say about bike engines if its in good condition buy it you wont regret it .bought mine in november done just over700 miles in all weathers,when the bug gets you it gets you:D

nick is the car in wolverhampton lilac in colour

Not exactly following the thread are you Mr Higgsti  :D  :D  ;)

Car is in Stoney Wotsit, its yellow and built by Keith Green  :D  ;)  ;)

That's the best clue you're gonna get  ;)  :D  :D  :devil:  ;)