• Malvern, Help Registration Closed

Cutting Fiberglass......

Ric

So whats the best method to cut fiberglass and get a neat smooth finish without chipping the edge?

Will a Jigsaw with fine metal blade work?

Anything else?

Ric

Not sure which blade however..... Gaffa tape is what I'd use to prevent the edge from splintering.

Basically, put some Gaffa tape over the area you wish to cut, mark out your cut onto the tape and then cut through the tape. This technique has worked for me on other similar surfaces....

HTH

Mark.

I use the tile cutter attachment in the dremmel

makes a horrible high pitch noise but cuts great

make sure you cover it with masking tape first to stop any splintering tho.

and wear a mask, that dust is not nice down your lungs

I used a jig saw with a fine metal blade.  I covered the area with masking tape and reversed the blade by grinding the opposite end to fit the saw. If you cut from the gel coat side it now cuts on the down stroke and does not chip the gel coat and leaves a near perfect finish.

Given the bits you're looking to cut out, I think either a Dremel or a Rotozip with the spiral cutting drill thingy or a tile cutter.

Duct tape then masking tape on top so you can mark it up and still see the line :D

Oh, and a really really steady hand :D  :D  :D

Cut inside the line so you can file (NOT dremel - long straightish cut remember) down to the mark and off you go.

John

Measure twice, cut once !

A question for you Dremel owners - did you have a battery or plug-in one ? I have a battery and the thing doesnt last long at all on 8 or 9k rpm, took me 4 nights to cut the hole for my exhaust. bl**** useless, was gonna bring it back to exchange for a plug-in one, but I'd already broken some bits, and it was covered in fibreglass dust ... :laugh:

Personaly i used a 2mm drill bit in a dremel and chain drilled and filed all my bodywork, very time consuming but worth the standard of finish IMHO, also i didnt want to risk slipping with a mini cutting disk..........

:t-up:

I've used this kinda small saw:

16-410_l.jpg

Perfect for straight, perfect for curves. I always leave half a cm or so to file down the exact shape. Have been doing it like this for years and works like a charm every time.

For long cuts, use this:

15-1882_l.jpg

works from pressurised air.

I used the dremmel method when cutting my bonnet but found staying approx 5mm inside my line was the easiest way and then used a bobbin sander attachment on my drill to finish the job.

Turned out to be a lot easier than i had imagined............... :D  :D  :D

Dremel or similar with fine cutting disc but cut at least 3mm from line.  Then use fine hand files and finish with progressively finer wet and dry.

Don't forget dustmask and safety glasses, when the cutting disc fractures the bits go everywhere at high speed. :oops: