Wet track day questions 🌧

WestfieldWill

How do you guys cope with the rain on track days? I don't have a windscreen so I'm slightly concerned with visibility and keeping myself dry(ish)!

Is there a water repellent for visors that anyone would recommend? And any particular waterproofs etc ? 

Also 13 inch "wet" track tyres ? They don't need to be road legal as I'll be trailering the car there and back. 

Cheers

Will

Motorcycle waterproofs and Avon CR28 for me. But I’m slow, so better ask one of the fast lads 😁

Lack of screen is fine, the wind clears the visor.

If its very wet, any tyres which have enough tread to clear standing water will be fine. If its just a bit wet, any road legal tyres (including track tyres) will be fine.

Motorcycle suit as Chris says is a good shout!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, WestfieldWill said:

I don't have a windscreen so I'm slightly concerned with visibility

I remember having a windscreen a long time ago.. It got wet on the outside as well as the inside, plus a layer of rain on the helmet visor!  With an aeroscreen you only have the visor to keep clear, .. a bit of speed will do that, and visibility is much better. 👍

• Like 1

12 hours ago, AdamR said:

If its very wet, any tyres which have enough tread to clear standing water will be fine. If its just a bit wet, any road legal tyres (including track tyres) will be fine.

But as @AdamR once taught me, the key is having the confidence to not tip toe round so you can get some heat  in the tyres and modify your line to maximise grip :)

This is indeed true. Last time I had this scenario, lap times around Oulton in the rain were the same on slicks as they were on Rainsports (or Rainexperts, I can never remember what I have!). No standing water though or it would have been a different story!

A windcreen is useless in the rain, it will condensate on the inside and wipers on our cars are not the best at clearing water at speed.    The wind will clear water at speed no problem.   I use a two peice waterproof suit in rain and when its cold.

On 29/07/2021 at 19:49, Rush Motorsport said:

having the confidence to not tip toe round so you can get some heat  in the tyres

Maybe I should try that in the dry too 🤔

• Like 1

You need a anti fog visor, tryed every trick in the book for years struggling with vision, then got a new bell helmet with anti fog visor, no issues  at all apart from getting wet not much you could do about it when racing as any waterproof gear is not fireproof, 

and I guess now all kit car drivers need fire proof gear plastic waterproofs would just melt onto you skin nicely , 

It’s only water a towel and a change of clothes is what I do

On 28/07/2021 at 22:19, WestfieldWill said:

Is there a water repellent for visors that anyone would recommend

Have you got a aeroscreen?

I've set my aeroscreen up so I'm comfortable on the road wearing just glasses,downside to this is on a wet track day I've got no air passing over my visor and even with RainX on the visor the water just sits on the visor🤦‍♂️

So then I need to wipe it with my glove which just smears it, not a nice place to be👎

23 minutes ago, CosKev said:

So then I need to wipe it with my glove which just smears it

I used to use a “v-wipe” on bikes back in the day. It’s like a wiper blade that you slip over the index finger of your gloved hand. 

Was quite a few years ago but maybe they are still around 🤔

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Kingster said:

I used to use a “v-wipe” on bikes back in the day. It’s like a wiper blade that you slip over the index finger of your gloved hand. 

Was quite a few years ago but maybe they are still around 🤔

Ah the memories, yep had one myself, sure mine came free on the cover of one of the mags, was it Bike with Ogri in it?... Can't recall now, but very useful on the bikes.

1 hour ago, OldStager said:

Ah the memories, yep had one myself, sure mine came free on the cover of one of the mags, was it Bike with Ogri in it?... Can't recall now, but very useful on the bikes.

Yes! 🤣