Mercedes Vito info

Andy - a15cro

Anyone had any experience with a Merc Vito? 

ideally looking for any hidden/potential issues to look out for. High miles at 168k body looks good for a 11yr old van, I know Mercs have a stigma of rust! 

I looked at the Vito before I bought a LWB Primastar (Nissan badged Vivaro) to convert to a camper.

From what I read they have occasional injector and glow plug issues but nothing major with the mechanicals and seem a good reliable van.

I only went with the Primastar as it was taller and longer internally

42 minutes ago, Andy - a15cro said:

ideally looking for any hidden/potential issues to look out for. High miles at 168k body looks good for a 11yr old van, I know Mercs have a stigma of rust! 

I'm running my 3rd Vito 66 plate . I've had it from new  now with 120k miles. Super reliable. it's had new rear shocks and countless sets of discs and pads. It is a 7 speed auto which is now showing its age becoming slow to downshift. Economy is amazing . Averaged 38mpg over 120k miles and can achieve 50mpg below 60mph on motorways and I tow quite a bit. Very expensive to have serviced at Merc. It has Merc 5 year warranty and the first 3 years serving and maintenance was close to £10k. Merc customer service is appealing. The only real issue is the foot operated park brake is useless and needs regular adjustment . I can drive off with it fully engaged and it was only in for adjustment 6 weeks ago.

The previous 2 Vitos were previous generation but still super reliable. Again run from new and sold at around 125k miles with no significant issues.

Most euro 6 vans seem to have injector issues. This ban hasn't but our sprinters transporters and ivecos all have. 

If you're buying used try and get a leak down test done or budget for it and new injectors if you're worried.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Kingster said:

Camper conversion 😁

Already converted to a degree. Seems like a canny base to start. Also seen a LWB T5 VW but the guys not coming back to me so I’m guessing it’s gone.

The camper thing appears to have gone nuts looking at prices and how quick they’re selling. Hence the high mile option. 

1 hour ago, Andy - a15cro said:

On my 4th now been running them since  2002 with no real issues.
First two were rust buckets! the second one which was 10 mouths old, with 48000 on the clock when I had it had new prop, rear dampers & few springs chucked at it, but that’s about it apart from service parts etc & I had it for 8 years.

The 3rd one which was a 116 duelinner on a 61 plate which I only swapped last year. I keep that about 8 years & the only issues I had with that was a pressure switch off the cat. Apart from that trouble free & rust free!

Just changed it for an Auto which I find loads better than the manual (must getting old!)

Never had any real issues & my local commercial Merc dealer as always been ok but I only use them when under warranty & never found parts that expensive.

They also seem to hold there valve well.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Andy - a15cro said:

Already converted to a degree. Seems like a canny base to start. Also seen a LWB T5 VW but the guys not coming back to me so I’m guessing it’s gone.

The camper thing appears to have gone nuts looking at prices and how quick they’re selling. Hence the high mile option. 

Vw are silly prices for what they are it must be the cult following! Plus Mercs are rear wheel drive.

• Like 1

If converting to camper it’s worth thinking about the complete package. Cost and availability of pop up roofs/ cupboards/  water tanks/ rock n roll seats with/without testing…. For the Vito over the higher volume Vito.  

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Andy (Sycho) said:

Vw are silly prices for what they are it must be the cult following! Plus Mercs are rear wheel drive.

And far nicer to drive than a T4 t5 or t6.

• Like 1