• Malvern, Help Registration Closed

calibra or mr2?

Mike

For a van ordinaire may I suggest a Lada convertible.A little brisque around the edges but with a boquet of an East Europeons arm pit ,with a hint of Castrol GTX. :D

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mike

• scruffythefirst

• Bananaman

• JasonR

Other cars to consider:

BMW 320i (E36)

VW Corrado 16v/G60 (this would be my choice and you'd get a minter for £3k)

VW Golf GTi

Mazda MX5

Audi Coupe

I'm sure there's more I could think of.  I'd steer clear of a Calibra but then I just don't like them.

Sorry, edited to say I hadn't read the second page of reply's where people suggested some of the cars I've already said. Didn't mean to be a copy cat.

Any one know of any good car auction places in the north east? might be worth going along one day to have a look. im sure there is one close to me in middlesbrough.

Toyota Supra?

Could be expensive on insurance? dont wanna be paying too much,  i had a crash when i was 18 and wrote the car off. Puts quotes up quite a bit. Currently with CIS (only people who would insure me fully comp to drive any other car - for westfield purposes) and im paying £2000 on a 1.0 corsa! but when im 21 it'll all come down! THANK GOD!

mike

but when im 21 it'll all come down! THANK GOD!

IME, that's a bit of a myth.

If I believed everyone who told me my insurance would come down when I'm 21 / 25 / 30, well, my insurance company should be paying me :).

Or perhaps it's just cos I keep getting more expensive and 'faster' cars? :D

Andy

Toyota Supra?

Could be expensive on insurance? dont wanna be paying too much,  i had a crash when i was 18 and wrote the car off. Puts quotes up quite a bit. Currently with CIS (only people who would insure me fully comp to drive any other car - for westfield purposes) and im paying £2000 on a 1.0 corsa! but when im 21 it'll all come down! THANK GOD!

mike

I think you'll find that premiums will come down BUT if your paying £2000 for a 1.0 corsa i think you'll find it hard to insure a group 15+ car.  :(  :bangshead:  :bangshead:  :bangshead:

Ring you insurance company and ask the question then post their response here (I need a good laugh :D  :D  :D  :D )

Andy :oops:

There's a car auction place near Sunderland that I've been to a couple of times who usually have something interesting.  I'll find out where it is if you're interested.

On the insurance front, you could give Adrian Flux a buzz.  I don't like them coz I've had problems in the past with them but they're very cheap.  when I was 21, I was paying £750 per year on a Rover 220 GTi (I know its crap but it was group 16).  Might be worth a call and if they quote you can always play that off against other companies.

I'm 22 when i was 21 I had a megane 2.0 16v coupe would pi$$ all over calibras and MR2's and the insurance is half as expensive :D

I was paying £600 fully comp with 3 points and 1 accident I did consider a calibra but the insurance was £1600. And the megane was better anyway.

You should be able to get a P reg for £3k

Rob

im only paying silly money for the insurance because they are the ONLY company who will insure people under 21 to drive any other car 3rd party. Other insurers you have to be 21 to get this option. So once im 21 i can shop around. i have had quotes for £1300 fully comp for my corsa, but cant drive any car. i have had a quote for £1300 for an mr2 gt fully comp when im 21.

mike

Why not insure the westy seperately? I'm 21 and when i was deciding on my engine i had a quote for a cossie turbo (dax) of £507 but i can't remeber who from :down:

Scruffy

im only paying silly money for the insurance because they are the ONLY company who will insure people under 21 to drive any other car 3rd party.

Be careful about using the 'any car' cover to insure you for a car you own. Most explicitly exclude this (they say something like 'and any other car not owned by the insured, or under a hire purchase agreement';).

Andy