Registration of my Ex Competition Westfield SE

etypebernard

5 hours ago, Entity said:

Thanks people! appreciated, @stephenhindeed I saw the age of the thread, but wasn't aware the member was not active. I lived in hope :) @Mark (smokey mow)hi mate, thanks for asking! okay so, where to start.... The car was brought and apparently was only ever used as a track day car. The old owner said he brought it from the prior owner who also only ever used it as a track day car. I don't think it was every registered for road use, but until I can get it in the air in 2 weeks, I'm not going to be able to see the VIN as it wasn't in the other locations or has been painted over. I called the number provided by @Gary Taylor so thanks Gary! The DVLA said if no vin or a non valid vin, then apply for a vin and then they would register is under a Q  plate. I then need to have an IVA inspection done. I called DVSA up and they gave me an email address to get some info for the type of IVA inspection it would need to pass. I'm about to write the email up now and see what they say. I was reading somewhere that if you can get enough of the serial numbers from the components, you can check if they all came off the same car? It might then be possible to perhaps get the original registration details, apply for a v62 and then apply for a modern vin for it using the original car details. I don't know how accurate this information is though. Kit cars and the bureaucracy of stamping papers and ticking boxes is not really my thing. I just got it up and running.

As my daily, I have a 1979 Volvo 244dl auto. I've just finished doing the electrical system and engine rebuild and restoration. I have the front window to take out and re-bond and I have the bodywork to sort out. Did the braking system and a load of other bits about 6 months ago, so it's starting to come along. I have no issues doing whatever work will be needed on the westfield, but it's the procedures with dvla, dvsa and how I'm to acquire documentation and other such things I'm mainly needing some advice on. I appreciate you all responding so quickly! 

If anyone has and useful info or anything the think would help no matter how small, please feel free to let me know!

Kind regards,

Ent.

Hi Ent, if the car has never previously been used on the road then it will first need an IVA test before it can be registered with the DVLA for the first time.

The IVA test is a comprehensive examination of the car that ensures it meets all the relevant construction rules the manual they check this against can be downloaded here to read.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/iva-manual-for-vehicle-category-m1

Depending on the age of your car it may pre-date IVA or the earlier SVA so may not have been constructed with this in mind. More so a track only car would likely need several modifications (some obvious, others less so) to ensure it will pass the test.

There’s several guides online both written and on YouTube about putting kit cars through IVA but if you’re not confident of this them several companies can also prepare the car for you and then put it through the test. E.g.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/individual-vehicle-approval-iva-for-cars-help-to-get-a-pass/individual-vehicle-approval-iva-for-cars-help-to-get-a-pass

https://youtu.be/NiOPbJQsPI4

The V62 application is an application for a car that has been previously registered. As your car has not been previously registered (and once you have passed IVA you will need to make a V55/4 application as a new vehicle.

As Westfield’s are assembled using parts from different manufacturers the serial numbers will be from many different companies. Only the chassis number stamped into the frame tubes will relate to 

Westfield. Unfortunately the part numbers on the other components won’t help you with registering the car, only to help you identify what they are from should you need parts in the future.

the frame number should be visible in the engine bay with the bonnet off. it will likely be stamped into the diagonal top tube in front of the the pedals or on older cars on the lower transverse tube below the radiator.

The best advice I can give is to join the club, start a thread with some pictures of the car and then we’ll be able to give you some more pointers from there as to what might need changing for it to pass IVA.

good luck 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Mark (smokey mow) said:

Hi Ent, if the car has never previously been used on the road then it will first need an IVA test before it can be registered with the DVLA for the first time.

The IVA test is a comprehensive examination of the car that ensures it meets all the relevant construction rules the manual they check this against can be downloaded here to read.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/iva-manual-for-vehicle-category-m1

Depending on the age of your car it may pre-date IVA or the earlier SVA so may not have been constructed with this in mind. More so a track only car would likely need several modifications (some obvious, others less so) to ensure it will pass the test.

There’s several guides online both written and on YouTube about putting kit cars through IVA but if you’re not confident of this them several companies can also prepare the car for you and then put it through the test. E.g.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/individual-vehicle-approval-iva-for-cars-help-to-get-a-pass/individual-vehicle-approval-iva-for-cars-help-to-get-a-pass

https://youtu.be/NiOPbJQsPI4

The V62 application is an application for a car that has been previously registered. As your car gas not been previously registered (and once you have passed IVA you will need to make a V55/4 application as a new vehicle.

As Westfield’s are assembled using parts from different manufacturers the serial numbers will be from many different companies. Only the chassis number stamped into the frame tubes will relate to 

Westfield. Unfortunately the part numbers on the other components won’t help you with registering the car, only to help you identify what they are from should you need parts in the future.

the frame number should be visible in the engine bay with the bonnet off. it will likely be stamped into the diagonal top tube in front of the the pedals or on older cars on the lower transverse tube below the radiator.

The best advice I can give is to join the club, start a thread with some pictures of the car and then we’ll be able to give you some more pointers from there as to what might need changing for it to pass IVA.

good luck 

Thanks for the in-depth answer @Mark (smokey mow) and info. I appreciate it. I won't have access to the car for another 10 days. As soon as I do, I shall check the locations mentioned for the chassis info. The DVLA said until I have a chassis plate to check, they can't tell me if it was in fact registered or not, so I'm approaching it that it never was as the previous owner said. I won't bother to get all the part numbers then as it sounds pointless. I will go through the info on conversions and mark all the relevant info down to check.

There was a plate fitted on the bulk head, but it only had a 7 or 8 digit code on it and then a 5 digit code below. it was something like:

Type: WESTFIELD

No is either: EB711--- or B711--- 

cno:wf001

(the --- is three more digits but i can't remember for the life of me. I will come back with it when i can as mentioned above)

I only know of the more modern VIN numbers. When I tried to find info on past VINs, it appeared that they could vary in length I am unsure if this is even a vin or was put on by someone for some other reason. 

EB711 probably relates to the engine as a 711 is a Ford crossflow engine block. If that’s the case then EB is the Ford date code for May 1965.

the Westfield chassis number on early cars was only 7-9 digits long.  Commonly this would be on the format of 88 WSE 000 or SE 88 000. Sometime this might also be preceded by a couple of additional letters which is the initials for the chassis fabricator.

these short numbers stopped being used around 1995 when they switched to the current 17 digit vin numbers.

This is where to look for the chassis number stamped into the frame.

E6B29A9F-78CA-4CD9-AB45-8DAD9AE50E20.jpeg.3a7275a5924b80e7eba79b32ecd8e083.jpeg

• Like 1

Awesome, I wasn't sure if it was a type approval number 

As for the engine, I think it's a pinto or if it is a crossflow, they must've changed the cylinder head as it as a cam pulley and belt. I thought the kent crossflow was an internal chain? 

I did contact westfield recently and gave the number from the plate as mentioned above and the guy said it was too short to be a westfield. He didn't have much info as he apparently works for the company that purchased the liquidation of westfield or something.

Edited by Entity