Fire proof suit required on opentrack trackdays from July

Simon Waterfall Syman84

Just now, a15cro said:

I’ve just read through a load of comments on the Facebook page, and someone, made a point that struck home to me.

I wore a one piece leather suit and all the protective gear on my bike track days, it actually saved me in a spill at Cadwell. I went for the best I could afford at the time, and most definitely the boots stopped me from breaking my ankle. 

I have never really given the Westfield much thought when it comes to Trackdays,  apart from a good helmet! I would have been more concerned about turning up in a suit and looking a bit of a plumb, and how ridiculous is that! Maybe a little bit of complacency has crept in, being in a car. 

Spot on mate. Same here with bikes. 

• Like 1

i have always been amazed that from the first advent of trackdays, that full competition gear wasnt mandatory. whats the difference, driving around cadwell on a trackday or doing the same in a race condition.

1 hour ago, OldStager said:

im not familiar with karting gear, is it not fia approved then...

Yeah unfortunately karting gear isn’t fire proof

in terms of track days - I would wear full kit, helmets, boots, gloves and suits. There is some right plonkers on track days so best to have all the gear and be as safe as you can.... 

• Like 1

I've just ordered my new flame retardant suit from Icke Racing, just need the matching gloves and tinfoil lined helmet 👍

raw-1399310870.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

Am surprised that in this day in age that it hasn't been mandatory for a while. 

I’ve actually got a flame retardant FIA suit, gloves, balaclava and boots. I always use everything but the suit. I reckon I’ll wear it now and use the HANS I happen to have too. 

Then I’ll really be “all the gear and no idea” 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

for those that wont buy a suit, i wonder if they will demand you show proof of a factory build, still makes no sense however.

I notice it says “kindly requests” so maybe  they wouldn’t be enforcing it?

im not familiar with karting gear, is it not fia approved then...

FIA approval does not automatically mean that it is fire rated, there are different standards for different disciplines of motorsports.

Karting clothing is built for abrasion resistance rather than fire resistance as the accident risks are different to those of cars. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I am not sure it should be all cars but certainly anything without an mot (So probably been modified / track prepped) or open top 

13 hours ago, Chris King said:

I notice it says “kindly requests” so maybe  they wouldn’t be enforcing it?

I thought that, but then above it it says new safety rule. 

Don't know what I think about it really. The intention is to keep people safe though. It should be everyone, then I won't look like the stigs cousin on my own

1 minute ago, SXRORY said:

then I won't look like the stigs cousin on my own

many years ago i would rock up at an amateur karting event, just those 50cc 4 stroke things and i would wear all my hillclimb gear and did indeed look a right plonker, but had the last laugh when one poor guy over turned his and wrecked his arms on the ground as he slid  - he was just wearing a short sleeved t shirt - not good.

surely if its a rule, then why say kindly request...

Can anyone recommend a good entry level fire proof suit?

I tend to wear my fireproofs so, I dont really care, but the line of "factory build caterhams and westfiels" is there only dont make his caterham rental bussines too complicated.

The truth is that ANY modified or track oriented car driver should wear it.

An splitt fuel line is actually just as common in modern beemers than in kit cars.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

‘Factory built’

Is that just so Dave (ot tdo) can still rent his caterham without drivers having to buy a race suit? 

Just a thought…..🤷🏼‍♂️