I really must get my kit car finished.....

IainCameron

@corsechrisyou're correct about H&S, I appreciate its there for a reason but I survived all those years without any major injuries, and if I did have a mishap then I learnt from it!

My younger Brother and Sister would go and play with the air rifles and we knew never to shot anyone and survived.😜

My Dad took early retirement as farm manager from the farm he had worked on which we all lived on for many years after he was told by the agents who managed the estate that if anyone is seen wondering around the yard who doesn't work there and is a relation off an employee they will face disciplinary action.... Summer time was a highlight especially for my 2 daughters as they didn't get to see Grandad in the summer unless they could have a ride in the Combine, this attitude finished it for him.

I guess I should point out the farm was purchased some yrs ago by a excessively rich person who made his money through Hedge Funds who only wanted it as it backed onto a house he had built and if he could see land/buildings from his house then he would purchase it......sad really!?

I do assume and hope the smaller independent farms are still ticking over as that's where the experiences are to be had still.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Glen_I said:

the farm was purchased some yrs ago by a excessively rich person

It's an interesting debate, but I'm with you Glen; the best experiences seem to be on the smaller, more personal farms where everyone has an interest in the land, animals and employees.  Having said that, there are countless small farms where a lack of investment and a tailing-off in interest in the younger generation has meant that the farms are falling into disrepair.  I can think of quite a few like that in this neck of the woods.  Sometimes, when the big cheese strolls in and starts throwing money around, it can stimulate a reinvigoration in the farm for the better.  And dare I say it, but some new-to-farming land owners have a preference for 'doing it right', which can lead to better practices.  As ever, it all comes down to personalities and ambitions, and I'm quite happy with my small field, little red tractor and four pigs!  (Although I'd really like some cattle and chickens, but the Rev Limiter and Mr Fox are putting paid to those schemes at the moment).

21 minutes ago, IainCameron said:

I'd really like some cattle and chickens, but the Rev Limiter and Mr Fox are putting paid to those schemes at the moment).

Just ask my younger brother about Foxes and Chickens (and Ducks) after he forgot to put them away one night when parents were away..... nothing left in the morning!🤔

Regarding investment, the problem with this bloke who purchased the farm was that he wanted everything around him, he purchased a stunning house in view off his for his 24 security and his daughter also had security as he was so paranoid about something happening to her....

He has Cleaner and Gardeners who live within the grounds.

There was an 'old boy' who had a small holding who refused to sell as he had lived and worked this small holding which was his Father's, unfortunately when he passed away the small holding got sold to 'you know who' and it was pretty much destroyed to make way for a new entrance to his Country retreat, which he had built on top of a stunning recently renovated Georgian house (he paid £7 million for it about 20 yrs ago) and then flattened it as it was the plot he wanted!

He was in the news a few yrs ago as he had issues with his Russian neighbours as they were building a pool in the basement off their 26million pound property (which needed renovation), his was reported to be worth in excess off 30million......different world!!!

Whilst he did invest in the farm he also expected a return (fair enough) but couldn't understand that the weather (something he/nor my Dad has any control over) can completely mess up a harvest, so when things didn't go to plan it started to get very political. 

Anyway, on a lighter note, my previous comment 

12 hours ago, Glen_I said:

I survived all those years without any major injuries, and if I did have a mishap then I learnt from it!

Whilst walking my youngest to school we saw a pair of Quads coming down the road which lit her eyes up, this is when I remember one off those mishaps I had....learning how quads understeer and when your a weedy 13yr old it will end in tears....in this case at the bottom of a wet field in a fence with pigs on one side.....no mobile phones so time to think and get yourself out off **** before you get busted!!!! 🤣

Cor....that's a long winded message........

As you say, @Glen_I, it's a different world, and when greed and intolerance become involved, it can get ugly and very unpleasant very quickly; it's always easy to blame someone else.

I remember it all going oh-so-nearly-very wrong when I was disk-harrowing a field (on the David Brown) and it started to wheelie.... it didn't even occur to me to stop, so I kept going, steering by using the differential braking pedals.  Still got the harrowing done, but how I avoided ending up in the hedge, I'll never know.

• Like 2