Peugeot Problems

mikef

I know that in the overall scheme of things, this is small beer but it is bothering me no end.

SWMBO has a 2011 Peugeot 107 with 39K on the clock.  In October 2017, the indicator unit on the steering column stopped working properly in that the indicators worked intermittently but only if you held the stalk in a particular position. You couldn’t just flick the stalk and let go of it.  I thought about replacing it myself but was advised not to because the airbag has to be disconnected etc.  I took it to the Peugeot main dealer in Aberystwyth and paid £169.54 to have it replaced.

We have since moved to the Bristol area

Over the Easter weekend it failed again in exactly the same way.  I spoke to the local dealer and they suggested I contact Peugeot UK.  This I did on 6 April and explained that I thought an indicator unit should last a bit longer than that.  They took all the details and said they would get back to me in a “couple” of days.  I heard nothing and rang them again on 15th April and was again told someone would get back to me.

This didn’t happen and I rang again on 20 April and someone would get back to me in the next “day or so”. Again, nothing, so I rang today (23 April) and indicated (?) that I was a little cheesed off and was assured that a manager would call me at 4.00 pm.  Needless to say I heard nothing and I’m now getting angry.

However, am I being unreasonable in expecting a replacement indicator unit to last longer?  I have owned may cars and have never had to replace an indictor unit until this car and it’s happened twice.

Am I trying push water uphill or should I just bite the bullet and pay to have it replaced.  

Thoughts?

google suggests you are not the only one with failures on the 107, yes for me a brand new replacement switch should last far longer than 4 years - especially in a production car. did you get the old switch back to see why it failed... i would want to know which bit of it was duff. then if it happened again in the same way then its a design fault. its not like the switches are anything new and i would expect a switch to last the life of the car.

if you have the patience i would keep on at the dealer and see where that goes.

Unfortunately don't hold your breath, the replaced component is warranted for 12 months and the car is 10 yrs old, I appreciate you had the part replaced but that was 4 yrs ago (but yes it should last longer).

The dealer probably told you to contact Peugeot as they know what the outcome will be......How do I have an idea?...I worked at an Peugeot dealer for 7 yrs.

However a response from Peugeot would be good to clarify an outcome, and there is no excuse for the slow/non-existent response.

If you do want to replace it yourself then let me know and I will send a copy of repair manual to you.

some more googling found this thread about not needing to remove the wheel to replace the stalk - therefore avoiding the airbag scenario. cant confirm however as i have never had a 107.

https://www.peugeotforums.com/threads/replacement-107-indicator-stalk.30066/

To be honest if I recall, it's only a pair off T30 torx screws holding airbag on, disconnect battery before proceeding, also I don't think the screws come all the way out, once this is done remove airbag and 'carefully' remove the 2 pin airbag connector plug and that's it. 

Remove steering wheel bolt, mark steering wheel as I don't recall if the spline had a Master to ensure it can only be fitted in one place (as this was a PSA/Toyota venture it doesn't share the same mechanical architecture as Peugeot due to it being more Toyota, and I didn't have a great deal to do with them before I left the dealership)

The steering wheel may need a few clouts with the palm of your hands on either side and that should loosen it so it can be removed.

The indicator stalk/clamp assembly will be straight forward to remove then, once the cowling has been removed.

25 minutes ago, Glen_I said:

Unfortunately don't hold your breath, the replaced component is warranted for 12 months and the car is 10 yrs old, I appreciate you had the part replaced but that was 4 yrs ago (but yes it should last longer).

Fortunately the Sale of Goods Act covers items up to 6 years. Yes after the warranty period it is encumbent on the purchaser to "prove" a substandard part or repair but as the first stalk lasted 6 years and this one 4, arguably it is a sub-standard part or a sub-standard repair by the dealer. Either way I'd avail yourself of your full set of rights and escalate the issue to the dealer principal. Citizens Advice might be a good place to start asking questons.

Thank you one and all.

I will keep at it as a matter of principle.  If that doesn't get me anywhere I will try to do it myself since the car is not really drivable as it is.  Fingers crossed.

for what its worth with the airbag I've had to do replace the motor and mechanism in my z4 door. disconnecting the airbag was as simple as disconnecting the battery, then disconnecting a plug, and a few screws. I was apprehensive about this as there were all sorts of stories floating about about them going off, warning lights coming on, some ECU controlling them failing, etc. General consent was don't reconnect the battery till it was back on. 

We used to have too deploy any airbag(s) being returned under warranty.....oh, we had fun!!

Fortunately I have never had to rely on one in a collision.

I remember some numpty set one off with the airbag side facing down....(should be deployed in a cage), it went higher than the roof of the workshop and landed a fair distance from where it set of on its final journey! bl**** scary really when this is a short distance from your face!

So long as the battery is disconnected than all should be fine, and to be honest we waited a minute or so before disconnecting them, most manufacturers will state wait for 10-30mins for any residual voltage to be discharged. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Glen_I said:

We used to have too deploy any airbag(s) being returned under warranty.....oh, we had fun!!

I remember some numpty set one off with the airbag side facing down....(should be deployed in a cage), it went higher than the roof of the workshop and landed a fair distance from where it set of on its final journey! bl**** scary really when this is a short distance from your face!

So long as the battery is disconnected than all should be fine, and to be honest we waited a minute or so before disconnecting them, most manufacturers will state wait for 10-30mins for any residual voltage to be discharged. 

That’s our evening Cadwell entertainment sorted @maurici

• Haha 2

Of Course, if any drunken people were to get injured this has nowt to do with me.....🤣

That's the legal disclaimer side of things dealt with!

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Glen_I said:

yep. we used to do that... we had a competition to see who could hang them on the roof of the unit. We had a perfectly depurated tecknique with cables positioning to avoid having them tangled as the device was flying and taking some momentum out... Also the orientation was important as if you lay them perfectly flat they don't fly in vertical, and customer cars used to be a few meters away.

(yes, this was a main dealer, and no, I'm not too old, so it was not that many years ago. It was in Mallorca, tho...)

• Haha 1

I triggered off a set from a car I scrapped to ‘make them safe’ a while back. What worried me more than their explosive potential was the toxicity of the Sodium Azide in the gas generator capsule.

Reminds me, I have another steering wheel bag to ‘safe’