Jump to content

Chrome plating.


John Dolan - Chairman

Recommended Posts

John Dolan - Chairman

Would like to re-chrome some parts. Does anyone know of a specialist or had any experience of re-chroming?

Link to post
Share on other sites
Dave Eastwood (Gadgetman) - Club Secretary

@Julie Hall - Peak District AO has had rechroming done on “Rita” over the years, front wishbones etc, I seem to recall.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Captain Colonial

I have used Castle Chrome Plating in Dudley (I think WSC used to use them as well) and they did an excellent job on my roll hoop.  A bit far from Wirral I know - sorry.  Be aware they’re usually very busy and turnaround can be several weeks.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Julie Hall - Peak District AO

You are correct @Dave Eastwood (Gadgetman) - Club Secretary we have had brand new, powder coated springs stripped and chromed by Derby Plating Services. They did an excellent job in a timely manner, we took the parts to them as they are local to us, but it may be easier to just post yours @John Dolan - Chairman.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
John Dolan - Chairman

Thanks Julie,

 

My parts (?) are quite pitted, hope it's still possible to get a good finish? It's mainly the roll hoop and clamshell wing stays. Just found an unfinished project, the parts have been sitting around since bought in 1992, so not in the best condition. I'll give them a ring tomorrow to get an idea of cost.

 

John.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Andy_R
13 hours ago, John Dolan - Chairman said:

Thanks Julie,

 

My parts (?) are quite pitted, hope it's still possible to get a good finish? It's mainly the roll hoop and clamshell wing stays. Just found an unfinished project, the parts have been sitting around since bought in 1992, so not in the best condition. I'll give them a ring tomorrow to get an idea of cost.

 

John.

 

John would you mind posting how much the estimated cost is as I have a number of items that will need chroming or re-chroming shortly and it would be interesting to see what I'll need to budget. Thanks in advance 👍

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
OldStager
1 hour ago, Andy_R said:

 

John would you mind posting how much the estimated cost is as I have a number of items that will need chroming or re-chroming shortly and it would be interesting to see what I'll need to budget. Thanks in advance 👍

Ditto. I fancy having my wishbones done as well, maybe over next winter. Handy to have a guide on costs prior to that.

 

Richard

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
John Dolan - Chairman

Received estimates from a couple of companies for re-chroming a roll hoop and two wing stays.

£500 and £600, both plus VAT. 😳

Link to post
Share on other sites
Captain Colonial

Ouch! 😳🤬

 

It’s been a few years, but Castle Chrome charged me £150 for the roll hoop.  Did you send them a photo of the parts?

Link to post
Share on other sites
OldStager
1 hour ago, John Dolan - Chairman said:

Received estimates from a couple of companies for re-chroming a roll hoop and two wing stays.

£500 and £600, both plus VAT. 😳

Wow, is that the going rate now, I can think of better areas of my car to spend £500+ on.  Thanks for posting that anyway.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Andy_R

WOW! That's a little bit more than expected but thank you for posting 👍

Link to post
Share on other sites
John Dolan - Chairman
23 hours ago, Captain Colonial said:

Ouch! 😳🤬

 

It’s been a few years, but Castle Chrome charged me £150 for the roll hoop.  Did you send them a photo of the parts?

 

Yes, pics sent. 😕 Didn’t expect that.

  • Sad 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
OldStager
1 hour ago, John Dolan - Chairman said:

 

Yes, pics sent. 😕 Didn’t expect that.

This week I will look into who can do my wishbones and wing brackets , up this end of town. A mate of mine had a load of bits done for his MGB a while back,somewhere around here. He is very fastidious on the quality of work done so he would not have used a duff company. If I get anywhere I will report back. Could you PM me a pic of your roll ball and I'll add that to my bits for quotes.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
John Dolan - Chairman

Thanks Richard,

 

Pics of wing brackets too.

 

John.

 

 

162E79E7-962D-418C-8EB9-6CBCB4AEE952.jpeg

29052D4C-30F0-4D74-B5C3-01AB35FB42EF.jpeg

8F3B5482-8058-4ACB-8E24-F8F64DF63FC2.jpeg

8CFA5ABB-EFF2-479A-AA8B-1BA814815808.jpeg

Link to post
Share on other sites
OldStager
6 minutes ago, John Dolan - Chairman said:

Thanks Richard,

 

Pics of wing brackets too.

 

John.

 

 

162E79E7-962D-418C-8EB9-6CBCB4AEE952.jpeg

29052D4C-30F0-4D74-B5C3-01AB35FB42EF.jpeg

8F3B5482-8058-4ACB-8E24-F8F64DF63FC2.jpeg

8CFA5ABB-EFF2-479A-AA8B-1BA814815808.jpeg

Thanks, your wing brackets are pretty much the same as mine. Just emailed my MGB mate, so see how we go.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Please review our Terms of Use, Guidelines and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.