what's it worth

Nick.Petty

No abuse, I was just confused (now there is a first ... um ..NOT!;)

I can't see how it is a 10 grand car though, hence the bid 'em in the 'bollocky bills' offer I made, which the owner is then at liberty to decline, which he did.

Which all means ...

I STILL AVEN'T GOT A FLAMIN WESTY  !!!

:devil:  :devil:  :devil:  :devil:

:D  :D

which Nick is that directed to Andy, P or M

Let's *both* answer  :D

Question is Nick do you think £10K is a reasonable price to pay for said car, with given info (obviously slightly limited)

Next question if you went to look at a car(any car) & you thought the owner was asking too much would you not offer him what you thought it was worth (to you)

Hard to say - the info is too limited but I'm not convinced, without looking at it, anyone can really say what it's worth.  I get really, REALLY fed up when you see comments like "oooh, it's a live axle and a Zetec - must only be worth 8K" or other equally vague comments because that just knackers the market for everyone - it creates unrealistic expectations of how much a car should cost and people lose truckloads of money which, IMO, they don't need to.

Maybe I'm more pragmatic but I'd always look at what I was getting over and above a "standard" spec car and combine that with the overall condition of the car to arrive at what I thought it was worth.  If that's significantly less than the asking price, because let's face it there are delusional sellers as well as unrealistic buyers out there, then I'd make an offer accordingly.  But I wouldn't expect to get away with it every time and offering 2K under the asking price when the car was described as being in good condition apart from a split bonnet and a naff interior seems, to me, a bit much.  But without having seen the car it's hard to tell.

You only need to look at Caterhams to see what residuals could be like with the right approach to second hand prices - granted there are differences but there are a lot more of them to choose from and yet older, low spec cars *still* make good money because that's what the market supports.

We seem to take great delight in trying to write off as much of the value of our cars as it humanly possible and it just seems unnecessary.

/falls of soapbox

I think it's also telling that I know of several cases, myself included, where people have decided not to sell cars (which they have advertised and put on the market) because they knew they wouldn't get what the cars were worth, in terms of the quality of the cars and the parts used to build them to their current spec.

That indicates to me that buyers are either ill-informed or unrealistic.

I know Nick (M) & I agree..............but he did ask the question.

Personally I think that our cars are under valued, supply & demand I suppose. :blues:

Still if you never sell it you carn't loose money on it. :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D

With regards to High spec cars there really dose seem to be a difficulty in realising there TRUE value. :bangshead:  :bangshead:  :bangshead:

Ah yes...but ....

I have been on the other side of this fence having spent hyowge wonga on my 4age and then being bid in the nuts at what I though was a 'realistic' valuation on it last year so that I had to drop the price (twice) to sell it. At the end of the day the chap who bought it got a good car at a good price because

a. I needed to sell

b. he was in a position to buy

c. No-one else offered me more money.  

So on the flip side I am now (selfishly) trying to work this system to my advantage. At the end of the day it is back to basics haggling. I was taught to bid in the nuts;the seller will probably price the car at the top end of what it is worth, and somewhere in the middle is a deal.

if I paid too much at the outset I would have to wait to get my full cage, and not be able to put the hairy cams in!

Controversially yours.

Nick (P)! :p  :D  :p  :oops:

Ah yes...but ....

I have been on the other side of this fence having spent hyowge wonga on my 4age and then being bid in the nuts at what I though was a 'realistic' valuation on it last year so that I had to drop the price (twice) to sell it. At the end of the day the chap who bought it got a good car at a good price because

a. I needed to sell

b. he was in a position to buy

c. No-one else offered me more money.  

and the new owner still continues to pour money into it... :down:

I totally agree with Nick M on this and it's not the first time on this very subject.

It seems to me a little ironic that some buyers on here have raved about how little they have paid for a massivly specced car and then seem to be totally put out a year or so on when the next buyer slams in an offer 2k below the asking price and they can't sell the car for a half reasonable price.

The attitude that a Pinto is worth less than a Xflow which is worth less than a Zetec and a live car axle is inferior to indipendent car ect ect is pretty meaningless when there are some very tasty cars out there to choose from of all types.

I've read many posts over the last year or so from people who can't sell at a reasonble (to them) price and many ads that have been edited to drop asking prices and then the cars still go un-sold.

We wonder why a car that cost 10k to build is only "worth" 8k a year later or why there are so many unsold cars on Findit ect.

As Nick M has said before IRRC, build quality, spec and personal preferences should really dictate what a car is worth to the buyer.

I think what it sells for ultimatly is in the control of the seller IF the buyer really WANTS that particular car.

Rant over.

Chaz.