Chassis Framework Paint

Jeff67afc

Hi All..... 

I have/had a few stone chips around the front end of the black box section/framwork.

I started rubbing down with emery cloth...... then used a drill and wire brush attachment....... but ultimately ended up using paint remover and then a power wash to remove the loosened paint (yep, created a far bigger job than was really needed)

Any way, I now have a bare metal front end frame section which I've treated with a rust inhibitor.

So, my question is

What should I use to repaint? 

Epoxy primer first? 

Then a primer? 

Top coat.... Polyurethane? 

Enamel? 

Any advice previous experience of doing the same would be greatly appreciated. 

Cheers

I’ve just brought some chassis paint from buzzweld, I haven’t used it yet but it has some good reviews.

I have POR15, used it on a couple of treated chassis areas.

If the surface is pitted and offers a good key I’d start with a zinc coat like Zinga...  but if it’s smooth then acid etch to get a good key then the zinc coat.   Then an over coat with a chassis black/ enamel.  As with any paint the steel needs to be clean and free from oils etc.  

I was going to post on this yesterday, but figured someone with more skills than me would post and they have, I do what @DamperMan has suggested and Zinc primer ( good quality one though) and then enamel or other suitable paint / spray over that.

20 hours ago, CraigHew said:

Did you bother with the UV clearcoat, too?

29 minutes ago, Ian Kinder (Bagpuss) - Joint Peak District AO said:

Did you bother with the UV clearcoat, too?

Nope, just the chassis paint......

22 minutes ago, CraigHew said:

Nope, just the chassis paint......

Has it gone milky, or isn't it exposed to sunlight? I don't believe it affects the protection, just doesn't look good etc.

46 minutes ago, Ian Kinder (Bagpuss) - Joint Peak District AO said:

Has it gone milky, or isn't it exposed to sunlight? I don't believe it affects the protection, just doesn't look good etc.

It isnt visible unless you're under the car....

1 minute ago, CraigHew said:

It isnt visible unless you're under the car....

and you keep it black side down :yes:

• Haha 1

I was kindly given a unused tin of POR15 by @Dave Eastwood (Gadgetman) - Club Secretary when he moved house some time ago. I used it to touch up a few rusty areas on my chassis last year.

I've just tried to re-open the tin, as I've been modifying the tow bar bracket on the 'broom pilot's' car and need to touch up a few bare metal places.

I must have tried for over 10 mins (concerned if it goes wrong I might paint more than expected). I do recall it was tough to open the first time!

However it's certainly put up a fight this time :bangshead:. Hence I strongly suggest that you clean the lid and the rim thoroughly with POR15 thinners before resealing!

image.png.5f8c15b16c5cc287fb15e0cf30e037c1.png

image.png.f3285574f46cd978e50362c12faad5bc.png

• Haha 1

:laugh:

Oops, yes, clean the rim scrupulously! It sets by absorption of moisture, so you need a good seal, too. This is the reason I buy it in packs of mutiple small cans though, I've had that happen to big expensive cans with lots of paint still in there. Sometimes, storing the re-sealed cans upside down can preserve them a bit longer.

19 minutes ago, Dave Eastwood (Gadgetman) - Club Secretary said:

:laugh:

Oops, yes, clean the rim scrupulously! It sets by absorption of moisture, so you need a good seal, too. This is the reason I buy it in packs of mutiple small cans though, I've had that happen to big expensive cans with lots of paint still in there. Sometimes, storing the re-sealed cans upside down can preserve them a bit longer.

The paint inside was fine. It's just the spillage around the rim from the first opening is as strong as a weld!

On 10/03/2021 at 21:55, CraigHew said:

I have found Por15 is not great on bare steel even when using their etch solution. have had much more success with @DamperManrecommendations.