BMW diesel help?

dombanks

We had 3 blokes from BMW but unfortunately they have just been made redundant along with 40 others, our offices are being relocated to somewhere cheaper, so all this adds up to more cost saving😡

8 minutes ago, Glen_I said:

our offices are being relocated to somewhere cheaper, so all this adds up to more cost saving😡

Globalisation ! still not sure what it does except facilitate the rich getting richer! 

Don't get me started, it's a 40 Yr old uk company I work for but been ripped apart since being sold to a American investment company.

And yes , the richer get richer it seems...... 

2 hours ago, Scott Young said:

@jim_l This might be on interest to you:

Could be a good shout Scott, had seen it before but not to the end as it looked a different issue. Watching to the end does however suggest a possible solution . 

@jim_lI managed to get hold of a bloke at work who knows someone at BMW. He says don't rule out the bellows unless you have raised the car to allow the suspension and bellows to be fully exposed, they say they had a fair few that look okay but wil perish where the bellow folds over itself.

I am just wondering if the problem seems worse when parked at a angle because if a bellow was perished then the leak could be exposed because its in different position from normal ride height?

Just trying to put ideas out there...

BMW are very good at Descriptions and Functions of their systems, I should've downloaded the section on the air suspension as they may have given an insight to the operating system and parameters.

I can do that on Monday as I am of tomorrow.

50 minutes ago, Glen_I said:

I should've downloaded the section on the air suspension as they may have given an insight to the operating system and parameters.

I would appreciate that, because I am baffled by the erratic behaviour, so knowing what it should do when, will help. 

The solenoid valve gets a mention quite often and works intermittently at the end of the video Scott shared, a possibility,

There may as you say be positions where the bellows leak, perhaps explaining the tendency for it to happen when parked on an angle.   

The fact that I get no error message might have pointed to the ride height sensors too, but it seems unlikely both would go? 

Thanks for your help so far. 

fuel filter?

are there more than one fuel pumps in the system? high and low pressure?

1 hour ago, cast iron said:

fuel filter?

are there more than one fuel pumps in the system? high and low pressure?

There is a low pressure pump in the tank o/s under a cover under the rear seat fuel filter under undertray beneath the passenger seat and the high pressure pump on the engine running off the cam chain

On 23/02/2021 at 19:26, dombanks said:

can anyone make a guess at what might be wrong with my neighbours 08 plate 1series diesel? 

It started to become difficult to start. just slugishly turning over so he replaced the battery. this didnt help and the engine light came on so he had the fault codes read and it was suggested that the fuel pump in the tank was broken so he replaced this which has also not helped. 

Now it will start eventually and idle fine. but if you rev it it and hold it at say 2k rpm after 30s or so the engine lights come on and the revs sort of run away with you and then settle but are lumpy. 

I tried using the INPA software i use for the Z but it doesnt list his bmw E number?

I have not read the whole tread to see if its been already said, but if low pressure pump is ok, the likeliness is in hp pump or Injectors leaking. My money in the injectors.

• Thanks 1