MK Sportscars - F20 vs K20

Rob Hunter - Club Secretary

5 minutes ago, Rush Motorsport said:

There was this one 

But did he finish it?

Unfortunately that’ became one of the broken up for sale examples.

• Sad 1

its one of those things where the f20 is the tried and tested path that works very well. eveyone suggests Kswap the world until they actually come to do it. i could kswap my mondeo lol. im sure if you have deep enough pockets its achievable but is it worth going to all that hassle when its probs not going to be any quicker than your average westy. so why bother. also depends on the age old question what are you using if for. yes the k20 might be great screaming at 9k  on track if you can get it under the noise limits but that doesnt mean its going to be any good pootling around the town. and if your using it on track youd be suprised after spending however many thousands on the kswap its more than likley not going to be much quicker than my 1.8 zetec. i must admit ive left all but a few of the faceache groups, its not just the fit a k20 engine but the same questions that get asked over and over

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, BenD said:

i could kswap my mondeo lol.

Challenge extended.

• Haha 2

48 minutes ago, BenD said:

im sure if you have deep enough pockets its achievable but is it worth going to all that hassle

In some ways yes, in some ways no. 

I did this on the current build with the v6 and asked my self many times is it worth the hassle. Yes if id have stuck to the zetec I had it would have been quicker and easier to build. However I would have quickly looked to get to 200bhp which would have meant TBs, cams etc plus the cost of a race line sump, and then Id have needed a decent type 9 box with the correct ratios etc. It soon adds up. 

Compared to the v6 which cost me 200 quid. And then another 1500 in sump/adapter plate/flywheel and clutch then 150 for mx5 gearbox. 

Yes it was a complete ball ache at times and I came very close to giving up and fitting a duratec a couple of times, but a bit of effort and I've ended up with a similar power output to an f20 but for less than half the price. 

It will be interesting to see what direction the 'standard' Westfield will go as zetecs are getting scarce now. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Steve (sdh2903) said:

It will be interesting to see what direction the 'standard' Westfield will go as zetecs are getting scarce now. 

Indeed, I’m curious what the stock crate engine will become, of course, this assumes the small makers like Westfield, Caterham etc do get the option to keep selling new combustion engined cars for long enough to make developing a new stock package worthwhile.

Am surprised they haven't gone down this route with a none turbo GDI engine. Makes good power out of the crate too. All mounts and gearbox fitments common to the ecoboost to simplify the range. I believe this is what Morgan were offering in the plus 4 before they went bmw. 

https://www.hendypower.co.uk/engine-sales/automotive/ford/20L-GDI

Although part of me wants to see one of these offered. Dinky and pokey. 

https://www.hendypower.co.uk/engine-sales/automotive/ford/15L-GTDI-Ecoboost

Interesting options there Steve.

21 hours ago, Dave Eastwood (Gadgetman) - Club Secretary said:

Indeed, I’m curious what the stock crate engine will become, of course, this assumes the small makers like Westfield, Caterham etc do get the option to keep selling new combustion engined cars for long enough to make developing a new stock package worthwhile.

that's an interesting thought what is going to happen with the electric side of life? 

I really am out of touch with what is standard but isnt the ford ecoboost thing pretty much going that way?

always love a good thread on engines to give me something to consider .. that is until I get that realisation on cost and effort!!

• Haha 1

I've evaluated both Honda engines before choosing to go with the VAG 1.8T.

The F20 is surely a tried and tested solution, but very pricey. Also the FRM bores mean that if something goes wrong it may end up with needing a new block (and good ones are pretty rare nowadays).

The K20 is a very well regarded engine, but not a tested solution on the Seven kit car world. It's not available in RWD configurations, so no plug and play RWD gearboxes exist (but there are a few that can be adapted, like the RX8 box and Type9 like boxes through the RWD motorsport bellhousing). Plus it's tall, and all conversions I've seen so far use dry sumping (and that alone is 3.5k+ pounds).

I must admit I'm very curious to see how MK will be able to shoehorn the K20 under one of their cars, if they'll be able to fit it without requiring a lot of money, I bet they'll sell quite a few of them.

• Like 1

The update is out- 

I'll not spoil the fun, but I'm not surprised at the F20C weight! Though I expected a bigger difference with the K20! It will hopefully shut up the constant K-Swap-it posts!

• Like 1

He's rubbing it in further now with bike engine weights! :bangshead: MK workshop walk- Bike Engine weights

I'm not sure I'll be copying this coolant pipe hardline along the cam cover any time soon.

image.png.a28762a343d536b978ed5566142d12a7.png

• Like 1

Out of curiosity I messaged the MK guys about the height of the K20.... they didn't go into much detail but it appears they've made a new bonnet with a taller scoop to accommodate it. I'm assuming the nose and scuttle are already taller than on a Westfield 🤷‍♂️