either 4age or bike engined cheap kit?

midmotorsteve

bird would be the best option IMHO

Only if you're not taking the car on track.

To the best of my knowledge the Bird engines are the "weakest" of the bike engines when fitted to a car and thrashed about on trackdays relentlessly. :( Maybe can be cured with drysump or accusump though. :t-up:

timd I was at brands a couple of weeks back and saw a Blade engine go pop, it threw a rod out of the side of the engine and dented the chaps V8 Bonnet from the inside... Its all down to Compromise IMHO, if you want a strong BEC then youre going to have to pay for it and to be honest itll probably end up cheaper to buy a decent CE... the 4age is a good compromise again IMHO Yotas are good lumps and the 4age ones come in various tuning options...

At the end of the day its down to your budget, I didnt choose to put the R1 in mine it was there when I bought it, Ive been told by several bike tuners that its a highly strung engine but Ive also been told that its pretty strong on the bottom end.. you can get a BE for less than an annual rebuild on a highly tuned or come to think of it a standard car lump, what youre going to lose is the torque, its all down to your preference I guess... But of course you know all of this ;)

The ZZR1100 engines are about £600 including carbs etc and the ZX10's are about half that.  It may be worth looking into these engines to see if they offer a level of performance that's acceptable.  (I think both engines give about 120bhp ?)

I'm not sure if the 4AGE would be my choice of car engine, although you might already have the engine, it's the extra bits you need to buy that cost the money.  It might be worth fitting a Zetec or Vauxhall engine as you might well get some of the bits you need second hand and there are more companies/people dealing in Vx/Ford bits for kit cars than for the Toyota.

Be carefull about the ZZR1100 engine they have a nasty habit of pop no3 bigend, when in a bike. Not an easy engine to find either for that reason.

Roger

for less than an annual rebuild on a highly tuned or come to think of it a standard car lump

What are these annual rebuilds you're on about ??  ;)

Build an engine properly and the only reason to rebuild it would be in the quest for more power or because something catastrophic happened (although if you build it properly hopefully you reduce the chances of this).  There's no point, IMO, in rebuilding an engine every year "just in case" - a real case of "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" :)

A 4AGE engined Striker has been built for £5K and its a tidy looking car but if you've talked to Raw Engineering I guess you already know that.

Its all down to spec.  If you've already got the engine you need the RWD conversion from Raw or Fensport (bellhousing, spigot bearing, exhaust, engine mounts).  To keep within your price you'll need to retain the injection and ECU kit which means quite a bit of fettling of the plenum chamber and a lot of messing about with wiring looms.  There are some good Australian websites which cover all of this.  Gearbox and diff are salvageable.  After that maybe Westfields SV kit would get you on the road for the right sort of money.

Its absolutely the right engine for this type of car.  Light, free reving, very reliable.

Good luck

Simon