either 4age or bike engined cheap kit?

midmotorsteve

Hi All,

I have a pair of mr2's at present and i'm thinking of selling both  (sw20 and aw11) and getting a kit car instead.  I'd either want the cheapest bike engined kit I can find or use the 4age engined aw11 as a donor car to build from.  What route would people advise me to go, i really would have a limited buget of around £4000? any suggestions?  many thanks Steve

Welcome.

Obviously, we're gonna say Westfield, but that's just us! Sadly, you'd be lucky to do what you want with a Westfield fo 4K, unless you're *very* handy with machine tools, lathes, welding equipment and the like. If it's a Westfield you want, and you are handy with the weapons, then you might be able to pick up a part finished kit, or a cheap second hand Westfield, and attempt an engine swap, but to be honest, I really think you'll struggle with just 4K to play with.

It may be worth a look at Stuart Taylor kits, or a LoCost kit, but don't underestimate the hidden costs involved in any of the options mentioned.

Sorry I can't be more positive. If you had 6-7K, then we'd be in business, I reckon.......

theirs apart finished mk locost in which kit advertised in manchester for £750 supposed to be the better of the locost kits their was also a part built westy for under £2000 so as blatman says it depends how handy you are and what badge you want on the front:D  :D

You could do worse than getting a kit from here http://www.cougarracing.fsnet.co.uk/locostgts.htm

you could then mout the 4age engine with a bit of nifty welding, only problem I can see is the gearbox, youre going to have to buy one, because, as you know, the Yota is transverse and the Caterfieldcosts arent, youre also looking at a custom prop shaft and potentially a reverse box again not cheap... as the guys have said above probably best to look for a "got the bits, cant be @r$ed finishing it" add ;)

I don't really mind about what badge is on the front, i see Dax Rush rolling chasis for bike engine is £6000 new from factory, so i'd have thought maybe £5000 shouldn't be to impossible maybe £4000 is pushing it, but i don't want car engined as i think i'd regret it.  Unless that is a 4age as my Aw11 mr2 has one.. I believe westfield use these?  so that would cut costs, as i have the whole (mechanical fine) mr2 to break, what kit / cost would i be looking at?

People do have the 4-age in a Westfield, but it's far from a standard fit AIUI. You'd need to be handy with a set of spanners and welding gear, or have deep pockets I guess.

Andy

Ive got an R1 in my westie which again is far from the standard fit, its also a standard CEC chassis which again is not the norm, to be honest if you know someone who can weld then you can get any chassis and drop a bike lump in it, if youre looking for standard fitment they go for a Blade, bird or busa cheapest to most expensive, bird would be the best option IMHO, after speaking to a few bike tuning places they rekon this is the best bang for your buck. You can sort yourself out with all the bike bits you need or around a grand (depending on what you buy and what state its in of course) youve then got 3k to buy the rest of the bits, if its for road use youll need to make sure you read all the SVA prep threads on here..

Nice to see another MR2 driver on here :D I have owned two SW20's(turbo & non-turbo) and my wife currently drives a AW11.

AFAIK the only part of the mk1 that is really useful in a kit is the engine - Most 'seven style' kits are designed around using ford components.  I think the Striker that Raw engineering now sell is based around using the 4A-GE engine as standard, altough I am not sure if one could be built on a 4K budget.

Morning all!

There are a growing number of 4-AGE Westy's (and Caterhams) around. Because it's so compact it'll fit well in a narrow body car.

You'll need a Ford type 9 gearbox (used in most Westy's anyway) and a bell housing from RAW. The alternative is to use a T50(?) Toyota Gearbox. That will probably need a custom prop and as it appears to be a longer unit than the Type 9 you will end up with the block mounted further forward.

I bought mine with the work done but RAW had charged £3k for the whole conversion including the motor, labour and all parts. All the component prices are on their web site. You'll have to make your own decision about bike or car engines but if you go down the car engine route then I believe that the A-AGE is a great way to go. Sadly it's going to take more than £4k though...

The mr2 bits are the cheap bits, The exhaust, inlet manifold,carbs, ecu etc is where your money goes. To convert from x/f to 4age with new webers cost about £2k.

I only paid £175 for my doner Mr2.

Roger

bird would be the best option IMHO

Only if you're not taking the car on track.

To the best of my knowledge the Bird engines are the "weakest" of the bike engines when fitted to a car and thrashed about on trackdays relentlessly. :( Maybe can be cured with drysump or accusump though. :t-up:

at the mo, a striker built from my mr2 seems the cheapest way to go, for £2500 i'd have bought the v8, althought it seems to go against everything that the 7 type cars aim at i.e. its a tractor engine in a go kart? or am i missing the point?

cost is a big issue unless some one want to swap for this:-

my mr2 sw20 sale or swap for westie style

its a tractor engine in a go kart? or am i missing the point?

ROTFLMAO! :D  I think you might just be perfectly on target..... :0  

I'll get both our coats.... :p

If you look at Cars for sale section on this boardroom - there's a X-Flow for sale at £3500.00 - spec seems fine and it something for you to work on and maybe transplant a 4AGE unit in later  ;)  :D

In the words of Blats a search will reveal all  :D  :devil:  :D