Clarkson, psychotic?

7SE

I watched Clarkson presenting a TV programme, about inventions that changed the world, the other night.  The first programme was about the Computer.

Why is it that he seems incapable of presenting a TV show that doesn't involve him violently smashing something up?  On Thursday he took a hammer to a laptop and some HE to a desk PC.  Is this entirely necessary? I know that we all sometimes feel like that, or like putting one through a window, but we all manage to restrain ourselves.  Witness the streets outside NOT covered in shards of glass and silicon.

On TG, a series supposedly about appreciating cars, he seems more interested in driving them into buildings, or setting fire to them, etc...  I'm not convinced that mixing violence with cars is a Good Thing.

Maybe I'm getting old but I think that he needs to go and lie on a couch and talk to a gentlemen in a black polo neck jumper.

On the subject of 'getting old', does anybody else remember a scientific presenter called Michael Burke?  Did a series called Connections once?  Do you think that Clarkson remembers him, or has studied his style of presenting to camera.  Or is it just me  ???  ???  ???

I thought the first inventions that changed the world was the gun, and he did quite a good job i feel.

The top gear bit with the toyota has to be near as damn it the best thing i've ever seen on tv.  He's got a great job though, gets to play with expensive toys and act like a kid all day.....

Scruffy

Did anyone tape Thursdays prog? I thought I'd Sky Plussed it, but didn't, so if anyone has it on VHS/Beta/DVD, I'd be grateful.......

And yes, the first one was about the gun. Well written, well presented, and educational.......

he took a hammer to a laptop and some HE to a desk PC.  Is this entirely necessary?

Don't knock it till you've tried it  :D  :D  :D

We regularly have to dispose of clients troublesome fried old PCs; it's extremely satisfying, taking them to the tip and hurling them into a nice empty skip! They really explode well when they hit the bottom  :devil:  :devil:  :devil:

I remember Michael Burke, very good in a sober sort of way. But many of the "scientific" presenters were mad as hatters, - any one remember a chap from the early/mid eighties called Heinz Wolf?

Heinz Wolff teaches at Brunel Uni, IIRC. At his best during the Christmas Lectures on telly (when he does them). He also used to advertise Epson printers....

It's amazing what a quick Google will find.....

Heinz Wolff taught me chemistry once.  We had to work out various concentrations of two chemicals then mix them so they changed colour in time with the canons in the 1812 overture.

Pass my anorak would you?

I remember Michael Burke as well and very much enjoyed his 'Connections' series which rather cleverly combined history with science which worked well, especially as I hated history but loved science!

I came into the Clarkson piece part way through so missed the smashing up of the computer which is probably a good thing as I might have turned it off and missed what turned out to be  (IMHO ) a well presented and interesting program. Clarkson's delivery was similar to Burke's but I guess a little laddish as is his style!

[boring old fart mode]

This piece was not dumbed down too much which is good as I find that a real turn off - when 'A Car is Born' was first screened, I missed it because I turned it off a little too early; right at the point that the presenter ( not Clarkson I hasten to add ) having sat crossed legged on the bonnet of his car ( not even the donor ) reading the build manual ( do people really sit on their cars? ), he then kicked the wing mirrors off to get the donor to fit more easily in the garage ....... Luckily, I gave it another go a few months later and tried to ignore the dumbing down crap which unfortunately seems to be what the public like these days!

[/boring old fart mode]

Clarkson gets my vote and can come to dinner any time he likes .......

Did anyone tape Thursdays prog? I thought I'd Sky Plussed it, but didn't, so if anyone has it on VHS/Beta/DVD, I'd be grateful.......

I did, but I've just deleted it, sorry :)

Andy

Michael Burke used to be a presenter on Tomorrows World many moons ago  :D  :D  :D

Stepps - Don't forget that Mark Evans from a ...... is born - is not a TV presenter but a vet  ;)  ;) He used to do animal vetrinary articles on various progs and then obviously saw a market for enthusiastic amateur builds something  :p  :p  :p

Worstest one he done was Barn Free - converson of old barn into a habitable abode  :bangshead:  :bangshead:  :bangshead:  :oops:  :suspect:  :down:

Worstest one he done was Barn Free

I quite liked that one, although one of the builders / site managers was a right prat.

Car is born stuff is ok but it doesn't teach you much and the jokes get a bit repetitive after a while.

Scruffy

I love the way Clarkson does his job. Testing cars should be fun, he does by proxy for me what I would do if someone let me loose in expensive cars. Remember what top gear was like without him, the posh bird from the midlands and that dippy cow who hosts the rough science programe. They would get in a lambo or something similar and complain it was noisey or the petrol cap was tight to get off or some other tosh. Clarkson is laddish in style but adult in content. His views on Health and safety the way we are dumbed down on everything the nanny state at least lets me know there are at least two people left in the country with some common sense.

......VHS/Beta/DVD.......

whats Beta grandad ?  :p

Heinz Wolf was on top gear the other week trying to do a burn out.

think Jeremy Clarkson is a good presenter esp when he was on have i got news for you and also meet the neighbours.

has anyone seen 5th gear lately ? what a load of A*** thats turned into  :arse:

Heinz Wolff was good on The Great Egg Race  :D  :D

SWMBO thought Clarkson was a wussie on What Not to Wear, so I have to agree ;)  

Raymond Baxter, and Michael Burke on Tomorrow's World, Prof Heinz Wolf on Young Scientist, those were the days!

Anyone remember when Michael Burke did a whole episode of Tomorrow's World in his bed?   He had Hong Kong 'Flu at the time.   That was dedication, the man has class!

:D:D