Westfield SE in or around Bristol

thall1

I’m just starting to rebuild my fire damaged 1989 SE.

Im looking for someone with a similar aged SE in or around the Bristol UK area to compare the nose come shape too... 

I have a shape/form mismatch between one side and the other but unsure if it due to the fire and heat or wether it was always there as part of the original inaccuracies of the moulding!

before and after pictures below !

2FDF1D68-A34F-4AA1-824A-4DA66C7263CD.jpeg

1A636473-D06A-4E0A-9DFE-DA5ABFF5AA64.jpeg

• Sad 4

Egads... that’s awful.  Any idea how it started?

I’ve never seen a hoop like that to secure the back of the nose before.

If you have the VIN / serial number the factory should be able to tell you if it’s a standard or a low line bonnet.  I’m guessing it’s a narrow rather than a wide body.  If it’s a standard line bonnet, the good news is if you can’t get a nose cone or bonnet second hand, the factory can still produce a new one for you.  However, the lead time is such that you’d be better off searching over winter and only ordering new if you haven’t found one by February if you want it back in the road for Spring.

Tim,

Sorry to hear about the fire damage to such a lovely car.

I'll ping an email out to the Bristol and Bath folks and ask if anyone has an older SE to compare with?  Though to be fair, yours is a Great-Grandfather of a car in comparison to most of our youngsters.  

If you need any help then I'm sure we can get a gang together to pop round and assist, even if its to just suck or teeth and offer positive words of encouragement. Plus we all have hammers...

Chris

Hi, thanks for the replies , I’ve already spoken to Westfield before I went down the rebuild route rather than just write it off but if I can save the nose and scuttle it’ll pay for an engine refresh !

it'll need a new bonnet as the original was already cracked but it’s now distorted as well. It’s a shame to have to paint it after all these years but I couldn’t negotiate the cost of a new main tub as well on the insurance. 

The fire started due to a misfire on no2 cylinder...im

assuming fuel leaked out of the air filters and ran into the distributer.   
Ive got a heater fitted so after a short while the heater hose burst and subdued the flames!... Bath fire brigade did the rest!!

I was contemplating a new aluminium body from Batho cars but didn’t get enough in the payout to cover it. 

4 hours ago, thall1 said:

just debating a colour change and wether to strip and replace powder coat the chassis..

in for a penny....

Sorry to hear of your woes, my twopenneth; the last pictures you put up show a lovely classic car in a great colour combination.

if changing the colour then to what?  Would it clash with the red trim? Are ALL the trim pieces available in another colour to suit ?

Me , I would keep the colour and trim the same.

The chassis well, yes I would strip check and then repaint/ powder coat . And yes I’d keep that red.

Good luck with the rebuild 

I was thinking of going to a pale grey for the body and keep the red interior. Not sure on the chassis colour... when I originally had it done it should have been red but came back more of an orange red!... couldn’t say a thing as it was done as a favour and it didn’t cost anything 

I have a new factory standard body nose cone waiting to be fitted to my 1989 SE  if you want dimensions please ask. New panels come in black or white if you do buy a new one worth bearing in mind as the factory gel coat finish is good.

Bernard

Hi Bernard ,Thanks for the reply... it’s not so much a dimension as more of a pronounced bow on the rh side compared to the Lh. I’ll try and post a few photos to show it then maybe you could compare to yours?...

thanks

Hi Bernard, here’s the photos hopefully showing the bow in the rh side when compared to the lh side. Also there is a difference on the size of the body swage line as shown... if you could have a look at yours and see how mine compares that’ll be really helpful ..

many thanks

Tim

05AB8F45-C15D-4DE3-BF66-A34E1ACF94F2.jpeg

5176BA44-56B8-4A8B-9696-1E2C78471B18.jpeg

BACC7F9E-ACB4-4C10-8B79-5F354741AD80.jpeg

48CD7323-3510-4FB9-9930-F5716041B958.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, I am very sorry but been focused on getting my seiw through IVA. Will check tomorrow but from memory on the new one both sides look similar DSC02394.thumb.JPG.5346831f8823c81676b53a16310224f0.JPG