• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• zoso

• I.S.M

• Mark Stanton

• DickieB

Top Posters In This Topic

The more motorhomes for me to hide in the better.

S'pose that means I gotta take more bacon and an extra loaf  :D  :devil:  :D   :devil:  :D

Jamie, have you heard of the Carlin insight course.  Its run by carlin F3, tis a 3 day course for people thinking about a career in motorsports.  

Its a bit pricey at the thick end of 350 squid, but its a very good insight into what people actually do in professional racing team and more importantly how to get a job.  Went on it before xmas with 6 other students and the technician who runs the race team here.  

Theres info on it on their website, worth a look anyhoo.

Cheers to all for the advice, will check the regs and decide what im doing this summer...

Well, its like anything else-the more work you put in, the greater the benefits. I dont want to insult you zoso-but its taken alot of time and effort to get to one of the best uni's in the country-and onto one of the best Mech. Eng degrees-i feel i deserve to do well in my chosen career.

I was just trying to share a good experience i'd had, generally most peoples ideas of what they'd like to do in motorsports and what is actually available differ somewhat.

Hard work is allways a great thing to do but you have to be aiming it in the right direction to get to where you want to be.

I was just on a rant post January exams. But you are right, it is important to be heading in the right direction-i am hoping that once my theory is in place i can learn the practical (haha fetch me a leg of salmon and all that). But i have always tried to do the best i can and take advantage of situations available.

As for spending £350 i think i ll have to miss out on that. However i still maintain i am heading in the right direction.

Ah exam time, crap ive got one on thursday...  

I'm doing coursework at the moment, this second year stuff is all far too much like hard work.  

350 squid is alot of folding beer tokens, but it was fun.

Anyway back to this torsion triple.....

All finished thank God! Now all that remains between now and summer exams is 750MC-D'oh.

Torsion hey, good luck. If you want anymore examples to try, i ll send you some on!

If you want anymore examples to try, i ll send you some on!

Hrm unless they handily include a design for an anti roll bar on the back of a formula student car i'll give it a miss....

Good luck with the 750

Zoso

The Westie zetec thing is actually BARC not 750MC, unless you mean the 750 MC Kitcar championship.

If its the BARC one then contact Keith Scarfe (WSCC member, active on th boardroom, or through www.scarferacing.co.uk or the champ website at http://www.wscrda.co.uk )  If the 750 MC Kitcar, then PlaysKool or Ed Haslar who races a Westie - www.interstellar.co.uk

Dickie

I think Zoso is lookin at the 750MC kitcar class  :D

Zoso - With all due respect and without wanting to sound too cynical but those £350 a day technical tours given by various teams are a bit toooo much to pay  :down:  :down:  ;)

What they're doing is generating funds for their motorsport operation by charging folks like yourself (Motorsports potential future) for an introduction  ;)  :) Yep they show you around and explain who does what where and how - but that is something you can obtain for far less elsewhere  ;)  ;)

They also take names and addresses, course details of everyone attending such days for future reference which then provides them with a free database of future technical staff - which can be used directly or sold onto third parties  :(  ;)

I appreciate everyone needs to earn a crust - but IMHO such high profile teams - should be able to generate the enthusiasm from Uni / College attendees for a lot less than £350 a pop  ;)  :)  ;)

You can learn a lot from starting in grass roots motorsport and having ambition, drive and the enthusiasm - get your hands dirty and the oportunities will arise  :D  :D

£350 a day technical tours

twas 350 squid for 3 days including a day at the track in the pits with them testing.

was alot of money but the main bit was the careers advice which was very usefull.

get your hands dirty and the oportunities will arise

couldn't agree more, done work on rally cars, formula ford and national supersports.

looks like i best have a look at some regs now.