Going to the Factory next week....

MikeJG

I looked recently and a new 2.0 ltr Blacktop crate engine is now circa £2K and this excludes flywheel, clutch and CPS housing as they’re the automatic version; a few years ago they were circa £1K inc flywheel/clutch. interestingly the 1.8 ltr Zetecs are still circa £1K and a 1.6 Ka crate engine can be had for circa £600.

I had a Duratec Westfield for 7 years, many fond memories. Excellent engine being aluminium block reasonably light and compact too. 
Don’t discount the idea of getting a Mazda unit. Post 2009 they had a strong forged bottom end. You would probably need to deactivate the vtec, depending on ecu choice, but a strong engine designed to rev harder (7500rpm from memory) than a Ford unit. (6k but sometimes taken higher at risk of spun big end bearings)

Enjoy, these little cars and the crazy folk that are passionate about them really do get under your skin. Have fun and once you are ready to start put up a build thread. 

Andy

So as you can see I am already confused about engines and I haven't even got to the factory. I would want to understand it because I don't really want a "new" engine for which spares are becoming scarce.

Meantime, you may have noticed that I have joined the club properly and paid my money. Creeping commitment!

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, MikeJG said:

So as you can see I am already confused about engines and I haven't even got to the factory. I would want to understand it because I don't really want a "new" engine for which spares are becoming scarce.

Meantime, you may have noticed that I have joined the club properly and paid my money. Creeping commitment!

Zetecs are plentiful, common Westfield fitment and loads of spares are easily available. So no worry there. 

Duratec is a newer design and most would agree a better engine. 

The Duratec will mate to a Mazda gearbox which is a much newer design than the ancient type 9 mated to a Zetec. However, type 9s are still supported widely in classic motorsport. Be aware that Type 9 gearboxes have a useless first gear unless you get an expensive uprated one. 

I have a Zetec and an uprated type 9. I’m very happy. If buying new now I’d likely opt for a duratec and Mazda combo as that’s probably not much different to what a crate Zetec and uprated type 9 work out at these days.

• Like 1

I dont think you'll struggle with parts for any of the ford engines. Look at whats out there even now for ford engines that are 40/50+ years old.

There is also an option to fit the mx5 box to a zetec aswell. Which I think would be a sweet combination.

https://www.retroford.co.uk/product/ford-zetec-to-mazda-gearbox-adaptor-plate-kit-mx5-001/

Interesting dilemma though regarding the zetecs. I wonder what future plans westfield have for their cars once the zetecs run out? I know there's a naturally aspirated version of the ecoboost that Morgan use but must be 3x the price of a zetec (well the old zetec price)

19 minutes ago, Steve (sdh2903) said:

price of a zetec (well the old zetec price)

That’s the thing. Crate zetec engines are not the bargain they once were. I got mine for £900 delivered. Wish I’d bought two now!

I don’t know for sure, but if crate Duratecs are still available, maybe they are not a bad option especially when they hook up to the Mazda box without a bell housing. 

Compare that to £2k for a Zetec, £1500 for a decent type 9, £250 for a bell housing and more for the ancillaries that may already be on a duratec like clutch and flywheel (again not sure?)

My maths may be off - but food for thought 😁

I'm not sure the standard 2.0 duratec is available as a crate lump anymore?  

They used to be even cheaper. 650 quid for a crate zetec many moons ago! At that time it was 1500 ish for a duratec. 

This is the newer GDI engine (duratec with direct injection) not too bad with loom and ecu I suppose. Mx5 box again would bolt up.

http://www.fordracingbyspeedshopdirect.com/mobile/Product.aspx?id=9684

40 minutes ago, Steve (sdh2903) said:

Interesting dilemma though regarding the zetecs. I wonder what future plans westfield have for their cars once the zetecs run out?

I did see that Omex were working on a new Mazda Engine offering but no details yet...who knows?

I will ask at the factory on Tuesday what they are doing about the engine and report back.

Welcome Mike.   I have a Vauxhall C20XE engine in my bathtub, they are another common Westfield engine and still supported by parts an tuning suppliers. 2.0 litre engines like Duratec , Zetec and C2.0XE offer the best tuning options, best go with one of them as you’ll eventually want more power, most of us are not satisfied with what they start off with.

If you’re a tall lad, say over 6.2 And size 11 plus feet tell Simon and he’ll make sure you choose the right options so you fit in comfortably.  
As for upgrades, choose the wide front track for a start, better turning circle.   The rest can wait until you’ve gotten used to the car. 
If you’re feeling flush, the Honda S2000 engine Kit would save you a lot work and money post build, more than enough power for your needs.  Good luck, Bernie.

Hi

Get the parts now that would be difficult to change later, like half cage and limited slip diff. ( The standard hoop is just to lean against whilst chatting ) If I could start again I would pay the extra for the Duratec over the zetec. Also upgrade the tyres from the start you would be surprised how bad the standard tyres are.

Don't bother with anti roll bars at this stage as it will be extra faff for the IVA test.

I would not get hung up on engine parts supply as a consideration. Working in the parts Zetec, Duratec, Vauxhall Xe Crossflow ford all parts are available once you have the part numbers. The issue is so many parts operations now work on reg numbers and westfields are not on any data base for parts purpose.

Steve Hole, the editor of TKC magazine has driven thousands of 7 type cars and he contends that the best is one with a smaller engine and power levels around 100-150bhp as on the road you will still be more than fast enough and the drive is more involving.

My Vauxhall engined car you hardly have to change down on a run as the torque is more than needed on the road. On the track different story hence which is more important to you?

Also do not be afraid your skills are lacking, one of the guy's I helped with getting his build started when I asked if he had a G clamp replied what is one of those? He went on to build a great car, which he quickly turned into a very high powered car that went onto be used in the sprint series. 

You will find many willing hands to help if you get stuck on anything which is wht this club is all about

• Like 1

Have a great day. It’s probably changed a bit since I went there to order mine in 1998!