Motorsport UK and Covid 19 Virus

Terry Everall

Today Motorsport UK has informed us that all Permits and cetrtificates have been withdrawn until at least the 30th April 2020

This is very frustrating but we all probably realised it was inevitable in view of the latest Government announcements and predicted escalation of the numbers who will be affected. In effect this means that all Speed Series events in this period will be cancelled or deferred. I will keep you posted when we receive further information from organising clubs.

For those interested, the full text of today's press release is as follows:

Motorsport UK COVID-19 Update

It is with regret that Motorsport UK is suspending all organising permits and Certificates of Exemption until at least 30th April 2020. This suspension follows the latest guidance issued by HM UK Government in response to the outbreak of COVID-19. This position will be constantly reviewed given prevailing information. 

As the National Governing Body, we would ask all Motorsport UK members to act responsibly and follow the Government’s guidance during this difficult time.

We thank all of our members, organisers, officials, volunteers, staff and their families for their support during these unprecedented times.  We will continue to monitor the situation and will resume sporting activity as soon as we are able. We also have a responsibility and duty of care to our staff who will be working from home, so please be patient with any queries you may have.   

David Richards, chairman of Motorsport UK, explained, “Clearly we live in challenging times and exceptional measures are required. The decision to suspend Motorsport UK permits on a temporary basis is not one that was taken lightly as the industry employs many thousands of people. However we have an over-riding responsibility to our members and the friends and families of our community. Furthermore, our social responsibilities extend to the broader population and the potential drain on valuable public health resources on which we are all reliant. 

“The situation is very fluid and we will continue to monitor developments over the coming weeks and hope that we can resume the annual motorsport calendar at the opportune moment. In the immediate short term our efforts need to be focused on ensuring that the industry that backs up the sport has the financial support that it requires from the Government in order that it can be sustained beyond this extraordinary scenario.”

[Ends]

We had exactly same earlier with oval racing, sadly my job at the stadiums funds my fun on the tarmac, race teams staying in our accommodation helps fund our day to day life.

not great.

can I have number 19 when we do start😏

Its a shame but the most responsible approach in all honesty. At least we should get refunds back for events already entered for spending later on

So will MS UK give us a licence refund for the period when we can't compete? I can't imagine they will.

As we are loosing the first 4 rounds for definite maybe more, will the SSOT be re-adjusting the total events needed to be completed for championship. 

Eg not 10 possible 8 or 9

Obviously we still don't know the length of the permit ban so may have to be reduced further. 

Simon.

I have already been thinking about this and I will deal with the possibility of reducing the number of events that count, but not yet, as we don't know how long the situation will affect the calendar.

• Like 1

its an interesting one because certainly at club level, competitors travel in private transport, there no real crowds spectating, we are all outdoors I don't see some great opportunity to spread the virus? But at the same time I'm not complaining, well apart from having to do more dog walking on a weekend ;-)

58 minutes ago, cast iron said:

its an interesting one because certainly at club level, competitors travel in private transport, there no real crowds spectating, we are all outdoors I don't see some great opportunity to spread the virus? But at the same time I'm not complaining, well apart from having to do more dog walking on a weekend 😉

It's another example of MS UK not understanding grassroots motor sport.

I am as disappointed as anyone but remember we meet at signing on and scrutineering etc and who pulls you out of you cars  etc if you have a whoopsie?

There could be contact etc so its best not to risk it. Also at weekend events not everyone self caters and they have to use B&B or cafes etc 

• Like 4

I imagine the statement that the government said they would not be offering any emergency services cover for such events would have been a big factor.  I have spectated at three events where air ambulance / ambulance required.  In the current climate that wouldn’t be seen as acceptable to continue a hobby 

• Like 1

Indeed, with these things it’s not about “you” so much as the people that you “force” to be there because you are, and the potential for contact, in the unfortunate, and hopefully unlikely, event of an incident, whether that be marshals, medical teams or whoever.

What at any other time might be a simple incident, suddenly can become a major issue and quite literally have the potential, even if hopefully slim, to expose people to danger far beyond the ramifications of the incident itself.

• Like 4

https://www.motorsportuk.org/motorsport-uk-extends-suspension-of-motorsport-permits-to-30th-june/

now extended to the 30th of June at the earliest. I presume this is so that in the fortunate event of things starting to turn around for the better the British GP could still happen.

This makes the speed series championship at best over 21 rounds (could be less if further delays happen) which obviously has massive effect on people being able to finish 10 rounds @Terry Everall - WSCC Competition Secretary what are the SSOT current thoughts on how this year might play out.

I will wait until we have an accurate date to start the season .The Regs do allow me to change the number of rounds that count etc if we have fewer events and thats my intention

It's a ever changing situation, we don't know what's happening tomorrow let alone next week, month....

Hopefully see you all sometime this year.

• Like 1