Overnight parking security

AlanHodge

Morning all, what do you guys recommend/use when parking up for the night away from home. Thinking Travelodge car parks, friends drives etc. Does anyone have alarm systems fitted ? Thanks in advance Alan

1 minute ago, WoodyAlan said:

Morning all, what do you guys recommend/use when parking up for the night away from home. Thinking Travelodge car parks, friends drives etc. Does anyone have alarm systems fitted ? Thanks in advance Alan

I suppose it depends on the area and if it’s a high crime area.

If in a travelodge  perhaps park in view of a CCTV camera.

On a friends drive just wondering if they could block you in.

I remove my steering wheel :yes: also put all your weather gear on and a storm cover if you have one

Remove steering wheel, cover cockpit, huge motorcycle dayglo green padlock & chain around cage and rear wheel (or cage and lamppost)

Overnight, hood up or tonneau on, depending if it’s a public car park or somewhere more private, and also, what else is parked with/near me, I’ll put the shower cap on as well, steering wheel off. If it’s a very open/public place, I’ve got a combination lock/chain I’ll loop through the roll bar and a back wheel, but it’s not that often I need that, too.

In fact the chain gets used more if I can’t take the wheel with me, and need to leave it in the car; in which case, it gets chained to the roll bar/rear wheel, too.

Its one of those things I think most of us do overthink at first.

Remove steering wheel, big motorcycle chain through drivers front A-arm and front wheel.

Probably twenty years ago, my mate was an inner London AA breakdown guy. There's always the threat that a call-out is a hoax to steal the van, so he rigged a relay with a setting switch under the dash in his van that allowed someone to take it from him, but when they got a bit up the road and used the brake for the first time it'd kill the engine. That gave him enough time to run away in case they came back to 'give him the bash'.

Got an immobilizer and removable steering wheel in mine  Normally locked the steering wheel under the bonnet.  All around Europe it was absolutely fine, but I'd recommend if you've got side screens on, don't latch them.  Curious people always want a look in.  They won't mess with anything, but it's better if they can just open the door to take a look without forcing/bending it.

4 minutes ago, AndrewOBW said:

Curious people always want a look in. 

That's why you always put tonneau cover/roof up, and shower cap over the top too.

The biggest issue I've always found is people wanting to climb in, or let their kids climb in for photos. It doesn't take much to put 99% off.

If I’m just parking up for a bite to eat I have a thick wire hoop thing with a built in lock. Use that to secure helmet & steering wheel to the cage. Saves carrying them!

• Like 1

Going to buy motorcycle chain when I get home from holiday, Already have immobiliser fitted and getting a quick release steering wheel as well, Thanks for the info guys 👍🏼👍🏼

I use an old fashioned ‘crook lock’. Took a bit of finding especially finding one to fit. It is an obvious physical deterrent. 
For those too young to remember these they have a tube that fits over the handbrake which prevents access to the release button and a hoop round the gear stick making it impossible to change gear. 
I put mine over the handbrake and lock it in 5th. 
Probably cost me a £10er. Easier to put away than one over the wheel. Fits under my drivers seat. 

For nights where the car is vulnerable , as well as steering wheel removal, roof and cover, I have a caravan wheel lock:

IMAG2093.thumb.jpg.4f7ca0e054f104c81493b3c0ac86257f.jpg

7 hours ago, AndrewBClarke said:

I use an old fashioned ‘crook lock’. Took a bit of finding especially finding one to fit. It is an obvious physical deterrent. 
For those too young to remember these they have a tube that fits over the handbrake which prevents access to the release button and a hoop round the gear stick making it impossible to change gear. 

We used to have the original original Krookloc tied clutch pedal to steering wheel so you couldn’t depress clutch or turn steering wheel

CD42EC0F-256B-4BBB-AFDD-050F39C0D2A5.jpeg

• Like 1

same as most,  steering lock on and take wheel with. If i cant, I d-lock (push bike) the steering wheel to roll bar. 

unfortunately If someone really wants it they will take it,  but as something to get rid of, or part out, a westfield has got to be a headache and you stick out like a sore thumb driving it.....they are better off pinching an Audi S3 golf r etc.   

• Like 1