Oulton Park 7th December

AdamR

Popped down to Oulton Park yesterday with @Meatibald Archpants and Lionel for a bit of lappage.

IMAG1660.thumb.jpg.e14603ab68158ba12c0679c89c193004.jpg

Yes, that thing in the middle was my track car for the day.

Behold the MicLaren. Or Ladybird. I've still not decided for certain:

IMAG1661.thumb.jpg.ced3c2712a615b90338549b833968fae.jpg

Yes, that is a Nissan Micra. It's completely standard. And yes, it is the 1.0L, with an astonishing 59bhp, ish. I paid £250 for it and yes, I had only driven it a few miles on the road before I decided to venture to Oulton for a track day. It'll be fine, they said, it's Japanese.

And it was!

khqA4GLQ.jpeg.50c440cde4e85d9fb9da593641d83f88.jpeg

duewHi3w.jpeg.04e12df1b4370e171b3b2e09b0d75607.jpeg

Sea sickness pills mandatory, because this is the 'S' model which 'benefits' from no anti roll bars whatsoever. A buttload of toe out up front and 70psi in the rear tyres took car of handling duties.

IMAG1663.thumb.jpg.dcb9dfea2dc4f68e2b109bdba003879c.jpg

Until, for some reason, the left rear lost all pressure mid-corner at Shell hairpin. Weird. Still, I managed to limp back and luckily had a spare!

108 miles completed on track, no mechanical issues then drove it home afterwards - brilliant!

IMAG1664.thumb.jpg.f5b12028e9a4041d3811f7f4ec8cf5d2.jpg

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

It must have been very close to the trackday plus fuel costing more than the car? :laugh:

Looked nearly flat in 3rd round druids?

Haha, well the day was pretty cheap and it managed 21mpg on track 😄 So even with driving there and back it only got through about £35's worth of fuel!

Druids, when dry, was just a dab (while still on throttle) to get the front to go in but flat, yep. I didn't get above 80mph all day 😂

• Like 2

1 hour ago, AdamR said:

...  I didn't get above 80mph all day 

So..... likely same as me int Westie then!!! 😭

• Like 1

Do you need to fit a litter bin to Lionel? . what was going on there? 

I take it Clio drivers see themselves higher in the peck order than MX5s.. they don't like to be passed? ;)

Did the Micra manage to embarrass anything on track @AdamR

• Haha 1

After my eye surgery I was struggling a bit with the sun in my eyes, so I made a sun strip from duct tape.

The glue just couldn’t handle what Adam had in mind. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Andrew said:

Did the Micra manage to embarrass anything on track

Aside of himself you mean? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

8 minutes ago, maurici said:

Aside of himself you mean? 

Nice one Maurici! :laugh:

That poor little car.. it's been transporting Grandma to the post office to pick up her pension all these years .. and then all of a sudden .. Oulton Park! 

• Haha 4

2 hours ago, Meatibald Archpants said:

After my eye surgery I was struggling a bit with the sun in my eyes,

I have exactly the same problem since cataract surgery two years ago, and it doesn't look like it will go away😕

• Sad 1

Haha, that was funny with the sun strip. Cheers for putting the vid up! Appears Lionel is 20s (!) a lap faster than the MicLaren. Thus, it claimed zero scalps all day :( :laugh:

1 hour ago, Paul Hurdsfield said:

I have exactly the same problem since cataract surgery two years ago, and it doesn't look like it will go away😕

That's kind of what I had Paul, but they implanted a synthetic lens and kept my natural one in. Then laser on top. Getting better gradually though!

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, AdamR said:

Haha, that was funny with the sun strip. Cheers for putting the vid up! Appears Lionel is 20s (!) a lap faster than the MicLaren. Thus, it claimed zero scalps all day :( :laugh:

I'll try to get a video of me driving edited tonight, so we can see how much faster you are than me!