The General (Brexit) Election –(A gentle parody).

DonPeffers

I like the maths of 1 tree per person but so many of us live in flats without gardens, or rent properties where the gardens aren't really ours to do with as we will. Where do we plant our trees? I appreciate that landlords could pitch up and plant their own trees but that's a side issue. How many of the 60 million trees will see maturity and what can we expect of the climate when they do? It's not exactly a problem solver. In fact I think it creates more problems than we solve, especially if all us MDU dwellers have to drive somewhere to plant our trees. Think about all the extra car journeys...

On 24/11/2019 at 18:03, Blatman said:

I like the maths of 1 tree per person but so many of us live in flats without gardens, or rent properties where the gardens aren't really ours to do with as we will. Where do we plant our trees? I appreciate that landlords could pitch up and plant their own trees but that's a side issue. How many of the 60 million trees will see maturity and what can we expect of the climate when they do? It's not exactly a problem solver. In fact I think it creates more problems than we solve, especially if all us MDU dwellers have to drive somewhere to plant our trees. Think about all the extra car journeys...

It's just another headline grabber unfortunately. But the basic concept of planting more trees and stopping getting rid of existing trees is certainly a good one. However what worries me with all of these things is that the real problem doesn't stem in the UK. It's the Far East, Africa, south America, China & India etc where the problems are. Issues such as the cutting down of trees in Borneo and replacing them with Plam Oil trees are causing far bigger problems. It would be far more effective to stop that happening, and probably much more cost effective. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Nick - Joint North East AO said:

the real problem doesn't stem in the UK. It's the Far East, Africa, south America, China & India etc where the problems are. Issues such as the cutting down of trees in Borneo and replacing them with Plam Oil trees are causing far bigger problems. It would be far more effective to stop that happening, and probably much more cost effective. 

Aint that the truth! :yes:

What depresses me most is the loss of habitat caused by hacking down the forests will kill off for ever, species on the brink, before it has an effect on climate change. 

In my simple opinion.. there are far too many humans on this planet, creating the demand for more and more space to live and feed us..   

• Like 3

What's interesting is the drop in average sperm count, apparently due in some part to all the pesticides etc we are 'having' to use to keep up with food demand. Hopefully it will turn out to be enough to reverse population growth!

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, AdamR said:

Hopefully it will turn out to be enough to reverse population growth!

Perhaps the population self regulating effect has kicked in just a century or two too late.. 

• Like 1