Bathurst 1000

BigSkyBrad

The first or second weekend of October is when Australia and New Zealand comes to a standstill to watch the V8 Supercars race the mighty Bathurst 1000 (km) on the fast and formidable Mount Panorama circuit - the two countries are like a ghost town as everyone is at home or anywhere there is a TV!

Mount Panorama is 6.2 mile long 'mountain' circuit - from it's low point of the track to the top is a 175 metre elevation, at one point coming downhill a 1:6 radiant, and down Conrod Straight the four-door V8 sedans (saloons!) get up to 190mph, and that's after they put a kink in 3/4 down the  straight in 1987 to lessen the accidents at the 90deg left at the bottom (Murrays). When there is no racing, it's a public road, and is the most policed road in Australia - the cops out to catch anyone who thinks they are the next Peter Brock!

The big race is tomorrow (Sun) but qualifying and support races are Fri and Saturday, and already there's been a big off at Murrays in the Toyota 86 race. Watch below...

• Like 2

More support race crashes - this time the SuperUtes (340hp turbo diesels)...

• Like 2

Thanks, those clips take you to other coverage of those V8 supercars. Spectacular racing. Shame it's not on terrestrial tv any more.

Highlights are on Freeview channel 64 Freesports channel 10.30am to 12.30 next Sat 19 Oct 2019 and i've set the recorder.

Many years ago on holiday in Oz i drove a couple of laps of Mount Panorama but only in a road car and the speed limit was 30mph IIRC.  At least is was free as it's a public road.

The 1 in 6 downhill gradient at The Dipper is great.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Yay, Kiwis 1st and 2nd - always good to stick it to the Aussies at their own game!

This video has a bit for everyone, from this year at Hampton Downs, NZ's premier circuit...

Aah yes Bathurst, i remember it well :d

Resplendent in my Westfield cap.

IMGP6279.thumb.JPG.79b09b31b45f4265a4466ac77ce36571.JPG

You have to be careful with your hire car. :yellow-westy:

IMGP6290.thumb.JPG.f9682ff97e89cbaec074523b79e671e9.JPG

• Haha 1

2013 we were there for Christmas with Margarets family, going again next March for a wedding 😎

@Paul Hurdsfield  Did you have a barbie for christmas dinner? I miss that - my family has a bbq full-english brunch at my brothers, then a bbq christmas dinner at night.

11 hours ago, BigSkyBrad said:

@Paul Hurdsfield  Did you have a barbie for christmas dinner? I miss that - my family has a bbq full-english brunch at my brothers, then a bbq christmas dinner at night.

At Christmas we rented a beach house in Old Bar up near Cairns, There were 17 of us (all Family) so it was quite a big place and we had BBQ brekkie then a traditional Christmas dinner, I'll find a pic when i can get to my pc.