Donald Tusk tweet today--Quo vadis?--where are you going?

DonPeffers

12 hours ago, Blatman said:

Do we really think that both houses would dare to go against the will of the people?

YES!  "Because they didn't know (because they're too dumb/thick/stupid) what they were voting for."

Yet the remain MPs forget that we were threatened with near Armageddon if we voted leave.

John Major and his ilk, in their day, argued (lied/cheated) to take us deeper into political union so to say other than remain would have meant admitting their life's work was for nought. The career, remain politicians can see a whole cornucopia of career and financial oppportunity within the EU structure. Anyone know the whereabouts of Mr & Mrs Kinnock, Peter Mandleson et al? Keeping a low profile for good reason and protecting their gold plated pensions no doubt.

7 hours ago, Gerry H said:

YES!  "Because they didn't know (because they're too dumb/thick/stupid) what they were voting for."

Politicians were the ones who raised the notion of a deal, not the people. Both houses need to be reminded of this simple fact.

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, Blatman said:

Do we really think that both houses would dare to go against the will of the people?

I appreciate the nuance here. Revoking Article 50 doesn't mean it can't be re-instated but to a large number of people revoking Article 50 will be the same as going against the will of the people.

BBC's Laura Keussenberg is being a journalist. "could..." and "...halting Brexit altogether" feeds into the "revoke Article 50" sentiment thereby not allowing truth to get in the way of a good story...

Listing possible options is satisfactory and does not impinge on truth but I accept many now don't trust the impartiality of what's become known as the Brussels Broadcasting Corporation.

We'll need to see how this plays out but I was concerned at the ease and speed The House of Lords passed the Benn Act.

As a former employee of the BBC, I’m ashamed of just how blatantly biased the news division has become :(     They used to manage to p*** everybody off equally, which I always took to be a good sign of impartiality. Sadly, not any more.

15 hours ago, Gerry H said:

Oh for a return of Spitting Image.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-49865406

20 hours ago, DonPeffers said:

Listing possible options is satisfactory and does not impinge on truth

Truth or bias? My question to journalists is where are the stories that start or include "leaving the EU COULD be good for..." I only ever seem to see negatively biased "reports".

And the second part of that is stories are written ..."could be disastrous for..." yet it seems to be that "could be" gets re-interpreted by the reader as "will be" in many cases, and I am sure journos and editors know this. I like nuance, mostly because I (try to) look for it and understand it. I'm betting the vast majority of tabloid readers may not have the same awareness when reading these "reports".  

• Thanks 1

"Parliament set for Brexit showdown on Saturday 19 October"

On 09/10/2019 at 21:28, SootySport said:

I hope it’s on the tele, wouldn’t want to miss that

UK Parliament Freeview channel 232 on Sat. 19 October 2019  09.30hrs to 18.00hrs.  Best put a mesh in front of telly to avoid damage.

Alternatively a more satisfying watch same day on Freeview channel 64 Freesports  10.30am with 2 hours of highlights from the Bathurst 1000 Aussie race.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Watched the Rugby first and then the end of the “Non Event” 😪

Afternoon Points Of Order was the SNP mostly,  moaning about this and that- as they usually do.  I would gladly give them independence just to remove them from our Parliament.

• Like 1