Donald Tusk tweet today--Quo vadis?--where are you going?

DonPeffers

Today European Council President Donald Tusk asks via twitter   "At stake is the future of Europe and the UK as well as the security and interests of our people. You don’t want a deal, you don’t want an extension, you don’t want to revoke, quo vadis?"

I thought we were trying to leave the EU on amicable terms that were beneficial to EU and UK.

The recently passed Benn Act, requiring yet another withdrawal extension to be requested on 19 Oct 2019 if a deal hasn't been agreed, has of course firmly put the ball back in the EU court and they now feel no need to negotiate properly. 

The problem with Donald Tusk's question is that the three options his gives are all 'remain' options. 

"You don’t want a deal"----The only deal ever offered was Mrs May's thrice Commons rejected deal which included the Irish backstop with no mechanism for UK to leave unilaterally.

" you don’t want an extension"---The extension idea achieves nothing except delay, but remain and still pay a £1BN a month to EU and IF in March 2020 the new 7 year EU budget is passed (which requires our agreement) and we are still members  the so-called divorce bill will rocket to include our contributions to the end of 2027.

" you don’t want to revoke,"---The Revoke idea is to destroy our democracy and make UK subservient to EU forever bearing in mind that the removal of article 50 is under consideration.

I think it is very telling that in the proposed Mrs May deal Gibraltar was excluded from the deal and called a colony to be negotiated later.

My view is the EU have dictated rather than negotiated from the start and the outlook isn't great.

All will be solved if the EU just refuse an extension and throw us out without a deal.

This resolves the double impasse-

Eu and Uk negotiators are failing to reach a Deal.

Our glorious Parliament have voted not to leave without a Deal.

Now I reckon Boris is hoping we do get thrown out, solves his problem.

"No-deal Brexit 'would lead to a collapse of the United Kingdom', EU president Jean-Claude Juncker says" ---  today  https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/brexit-no-deal-jean-claude-juncker-eu-boris-johnson-donald-tusk-a9148491.html

From Juncker......"the explanation is actually in the British camp because the original sin is on the islands and not on the Continent."

Would that be the sin of democracy Mr J.?

Anyone sense the EU are getting the pantalon marron ready?

Edited by DonPeffers
brown trousers edited to pantalon marron.
  • Thanks 1

I remember on July 9th 2009 Prince Charles warned we had 96 months to save the planet from climate disaster.

I don’t believe any/many predictions.

... wait a minute. Cambridge University have suggested we may find alien life in the next 30 years time. If it’s advanced perhaps they could sort out Brexit.

19 hours ago, SootySport said:

Now I reckon Boris is hoping we do get thrown out, solves his problem

I suspect that has been the underlying game plan for a long time. Brexit done and blame the EU for it if it all goes tits up.

Boris has been PM since 24 July 2019, so 78 days, and yet he's expected to have sorted NHS, Brexit, the Country's finances, dementia care...the list goes on.

I'm still trying to figure out what the last PM is going to include in the planned book 'My three years of tremendous success' (possibly a working title).

"Parliament set for Brexit showdown on Saturday 19 October"    https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/oct/09/parliament-set-for-brexit-showdown-on-19-october

"According to the House of Commons website, Parliament has sat only four times on Saturdays in the past 80 years — including the day before the outbreak of the second world war, the Suez crisis in 1956 and for the invasion of the Falklands in 1982".

Expect plenty shouting on 19 Oct in Parliament with the blame being passed around.

Don't know if this is fake news but surely the Commons Speaker cannot negotiate with new European Parliament President David Sassoli; I thought the Speaker was meant to be impartial.

Newspapers are running this news. 

3 hours ago, DonPeffers said:

Expect plenty shouting on 19 Oct in Parliament with the blame being passed around.

I hope it’s on the tele, wouldn’t want to miss that

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

19 hours ago, SootySport said:

I hope it’s on the tele, wouldn’t want to miss that

What and miss Strictly :rolleyes:

On 08/10/2019 at 16:47, DonPeffers said:

My view is the EU have dictated rather than negotiated from the start and the outlook isn't great.

I've been ploughing that field for months and doubly so after seeing ex Greek finance minister on Newsnight nearly a year ago with this observation on EU "negotiation". Skip to 4 mins 13 seconds and enjoy...

5 hours ago, corsechris said:

Now that’s a smart man. Confirms my view anyway. 

He has the benefit of direct experience of the EU and how they contrive to get their way. 

There is, and has been a HUGE conspiracy in the EU to block Brexit at any cost and make it look like it's solely the fault of UK politics and politicians and they do have to shoulder some of the blame. The press also must accept complicity with this for failing to report the depth of this conspiracy in the EU choosing instead to focus on the easy story of UK political infighting.  I am truly staggered at the sheer number of people who I'm sure would always say democracy must win out but who announce almost hourly that Brexit can be stopped. Boils my numbers 1's every time...

The more Boris stands his ground the more desperate the EU and remain are getting. Two stories this week made be laugh. One was the "fear" that with all the trucks lined up on the A20 there would be an increase in dogging(!) and second that there could be a shortage of bog roll. I mean come on... really?

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/brexit/10081388/no-deal-brexit-could-see-rise-in-dogging-among-lorry-drivers/

https://inews.co.uk/news/politics/brexit/no-deal-brexit-prepare-for-consequences-toilet-paper-what-happens-183014

Now we are beginning to see more of their true colours. It's a little late in the game for "us" to start to realise this but hey, at least we are starting to see it.  

Next Saturday is going to be very interesting, especially as now Boris has sat down face to face with Varadkar, the noise has changed from one of defiance to "a deal looks possible by the 31st". That's quite a U-turn. Why aren't the press screaming U-turn as loudly as they usually do? If one of our politicos did that there's all sorts of sniping in the press. Not that there's a conspiracy here to unseat democracy. Oh no, not one bit...

https://uk.yahoo.com/news/last-chance-brexit-saloon-british-065624234.html

And even in there, paragraph 2 says 

With just three weeks to go before the United Kingdom is due to leave the world's biggest trading bloc, it remains unclear on what terms it will leave or indeed whether it will leave at all.

Really? We leave either with a deal or on WTO rules. Something neither of the two Reuters reporters seem able to grasp. Beggars belief...

• Like 2

9 October 2019  https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-49984367   "Parliament will meet on 19 October after a crunch EU summit.  

If a deal is agreed, Boris Johnson will ask MPs to approve it - but if not, a range of options could be presented.

The BBC's Laura Kuenssberg says these could include leaving without a deal, and halting Brexit altogether".  ie. revocation of article 50 and stopping Brexit.

If the Speaker granted a Standing Order No. 24 emergency debate, say on Revoke Article 50, and if MPs passed the bill it would then go to the House of Lords.

Hold onto your hat.

Do we really think that both houses would dare to go against the will of the people?

I appreciate the nuance here. Revoking Article 50 doesn't mean it can't be re-instated but to a large number of people revoking Article 50 will be the same as going against the will of the people.

BBC's Laura Keussenberg is being a journalist. "could..." and "...halting Brexit altogether" feeds into the "revoke Article 50" sentiment thereby not allowing truth to get in the way of a good story...