Making up for lost time

Andrew O Byrne White - Ireland AO

The following morning, still very bleary eyed from the night before, we got the cars packed up and set off. Google decided to take us down one of the worst dirt tracks I've driven on to date, only to discover it was a dead end and we had to go back. It was so bad that both me and Chris, at the same time got the idea to keep 2 wheels on the grass for a smoother surface. Unfortunately, Croatia decided that wasn't OK, as they'd nicely camouflaged some bricks in the grass every 20 or so meters. I'm sure it would have looked comical from outside to see both mine and Chris's cars launched into the air in synchronisation when we hit a brick each, but it didn't feel good from inside! Fortunately, no damage was done to either car and we could carry on.  At this point I had pretty much reached my limit with Croatia and was just short of skipping the day we had planned, but Chris was a little more patient and I didn't want to wreck it for him. 

We made it to Plitvice early, but it was already packed full of people.  Fortunately we had booked our tickets in advance so could walk straight through, although we were immediately stuck behind people on the narrow boardwalks.  I did my best to get as many photos as possible without all of the people in, but if you Google "plitvice lakes tourists" you'll get a taste for what a lot of the walkways were like.  We took a slightly Convoluted route around though, which took us away from the large crowds for a good portion of it.  The views were absolutely beautiful, although it was overcast and I'm sure it would have been even nicer on a sunny day. 

IMG_20191016_092416.thumb.jpg.d900a5324763b026a77c21d480e33b6d.jpg

IMG_20191016_093308.thumb.jpg.48e27fd711f5f98e9877a85429229957.jpg

IMG_20191016_113641.thumb.jpg.6fb0fdd58f75c6e6d4103fc1c069f6eb.jpg

IMG_20191016_114720.thumb.jpg.98a94fa4dbf8b9f23384ed32a05f1574.jpg

IMG_20191016_125732.thumb.jpg.31297d7665f7de96a43d4b87612d317e.jpg

IMG_20191016_130249.thumb.jpg.0c24d23dcefc3425909890f1923dcdbd.jpg

The relentless nature of the trip had been catching up with me a little over the week leading up to this, so we had booked 2 nights in a hostel (yep, 2 nights in one place - madness!) in Ljubljana so that we could have a down day, and honestly it couldn't come soon enough for me after the night before, so after Plitvice, we drove straight there. Literally the second we crossed the border into Slovenia, the world seemed to become a happier place though. The sun came out. The roads improved, and it just seemed happier. We got to the hostel, showered and went straight for the bar to relax for a bit before dinner! 

IMG_20191016_114717.jpg

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, Kit Car Electronics said:

You've definitely earned a day off!! 

Nnnoooooooo, carry on. We want more.

• Haha 1

On 23/10/2019 at 18:45, AndrewOBW said:

I couldn't resist this shot.

DSC06569-edit.thumb.jpg.65dc61286ccd89b84150a532670b35ef.jpg

that's just brilliant 😁

• 2 weeks later...
On 19/11/2019 at 14:53, Steve (sdh2903) said:

Any updates @AndrewOBW ?

Sorry to leave you hanging! Had a mad couple of weeks here. I'll try to get a couple of posts up over the weekend to catch a bit back! 

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

had not seen this post until now - has to be said that's probably the best road trip post I have come across 😎

• Thanks 1

Sorry!  The trip actually finished a while back, and it's been hard to admit that it's over, which has made it a little harder to get back to posting updates on here!  I'll get back to it though!

We had been living pretty remotely for the past while, so thought we'd try a more sociable hostel in Ljubljana.  I didn't know much about it when making the booking, but it turns out that Metelkova is a bit more of a lively place than I had been anticipating.  I won't go into details on here (I'm sure you can find many on google), but despite the nature of the place, it really felt incredibly friendly.  Everyone was really interested in the car there.  My favourite was one of the times when we were arriving back into the hostel after some dinner, and there was a group of lads leaving.  As they were walking past the car, one of them, claiming to be the car nut, was telling the rest of them, with absolute certainty that it was a Morgan.  Naturally, I pointed out that it was in fact a Westie, at which point he disagreed with me and tried to convince me it was a Morgan.  His friends were delighted when I responded with "Oh really?  I must have missed that when I was building it...  Thanks for letting me know though!".  Don't think he'll be living that one down for a while!

The hostel was supposed to have a beer pong night, but I guess being out of season, they weren't running it.  It was pretty quiet, so we went out for a few drinks with some of our room mates there.  The next day, I had a full day of doing nothing, which was absolutely fantastic, and badly needed!  After that, we set off up towards our next hostel near Triglav (wild camping is very much not allowed in Slovenia, so we were sticking to paid accommodation there), but not before I could snap a quick photo of the car in Metelkova!

IMG_20191018_090129.thumb.jpg.31e63fbf4c33772af839b659c72b7822.jpg

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...